Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Forumtopia... join the cause!

Beefy Guest

bigjack,

you catch on quick to the whole 'webby' sentiment around here. :)

Beefy

Instead of just saying goodbye, could you offer us your studied opinion of what needs to be done fix things? You have to admit that a whole myriad of points have been made in this thread. While I think that most of the points have some level of merit, much of the disagreement seems seems to come in how much weight each point seems to have in the overall scheme of things. What seems to matter most to you, and, other than leaving, what do you suggest? I would welcome your opinions.

*Reporting the post above to my moderator...*

[EDIT] - i took too long to write, so its now the post above the post above mine.

j/k

Im actually fairly sick og reading right now guys and thus will not type for too long.

Sentiments agreed by many show a common care for TT and its forums. It is my persoanl belief that this thread should be closed when all TTF lovers are done with their 2 cents (really worth so much more) and be immortalized at the top of ALL discussion topics so as to remind us why the rest of us have stayed. I say the "rest" in no uncertain terms, those leaving ARE leaving, and we MUST assume for good reason. I have been very much helped by Beefy and smused at the same time. I recognize a lot of his posting to be spam, but i am in no way disgusted by it, rather, the opposite. Those leaving will be given a heroic farewell from my moniotr, and somewhat of a tear.

But that is life. What is also life is a need for action. TT needs more moderators. It needs ppl to strive to post only quality material, it needs ppl to let mods know when there is **** posting, and most of all it needs to stay a community of ppl that care.

All but the last have tangible methods of installment. IMO (this is ALL IMO!)

1. Hidden post counts. You wanna compete. Fine. Compete with someone you can tell your # over AIM.

2. Visible Stars/Medals and Title. Stars and Medals will be mod-given pertaining to which Colored Star/Type Medal they are.
    Possible Star/Medal Types include:
    Helpfulness, Informative, Eloquent, Funny, On-Topic, and On-Topic Squealer* - Each of these being given in a different Topic Area.
    Titles should be given to those that are mods, admin, or have shown exceptional TT posting quality and responsibility, as defined by a vote of current admin and mods. Titles could also only be given to mods and admin, and an upgrade from regular tweaker to title would mean upgrade to mod, accepted or not.

*Set aside for those that are not Mods, yet help mods clean topic areas...

3. A min number of active mods per Topic area. Mods must provide information as to their activity in TT to admin who co-ordinate the mods at any given time. Active based on whether you are going to do you job. Inactivity doesn't mean suspension, but simply a sabbatical for say, health reasons, or school.

4. (OPTIONAL) TT membership must be reset. And the forum brought offline for a period no less than one week. This would eliminate one time poster-accounts, and deflect non-chalant spammer type users for awhile because TT is down, giving the mods an edge up on them (time to prep) so when the spammers do eventually come back, they is a handling force.

Many may think that rules such a these (esp the mod rules) are irrational, overkill, and just plain stupid. But there must be a set of rules. Period. And ppl to enforce them. If TT were a community the size and caliber it was two years, this would be of no concern, but now we are a rather large body, and the proper government should be installed. I pledge to work for the betterment of TT if the need should arise. For those of you taking the time to read my growing post, and the rather large thread it resides in, please state whether you agree with me, id like to know. Certain specific topics will surely arise from this passionate ranting we have all engaged in, and those specific topics must be worked out. I would like to know YOUR opinoin of exactly what should occur. It moves me to see the caring broguth about by this thread, but all the feeling in the world will do nothing without action. And if your action is to close your account here and open one at ForumTopia, so be it. I dont personally look down on you.

And look i wrote too much...

... i keep using that word installed like it means something other than software, theres another word i was looking for, anyone know?

Install does apply to the world outside of software, hence the term "installation instructions" as for, say, a ceiling fan. You can also install governments, officers, judges, etc.. You can use the terms: incorporate, include, add, etc.. Hmmmm... I think this is off topic for this thread.

finally, my 2 cents :)

now I have just finished A LOT of reading all these posts.

As silencer said i don't frequent these forums as much nowadays, mainly due to other commitments, but the times i do, i try to give assistance where i can, the sheer volume of posts that shroud the massive wealth of information TTF has to offer has driven me to being particular to the given technical sections of the forums that i visit.

I used to be able to just dodge the BG (esp when im at work) but now i agree it seems to have spilled out a little.

i dont know if its a problem that necessarily has to be *solved* but it is a visible issue

i think that if a rating system was to be chosen, then a good recommendation i have is that of the same style as another tech forum i googled into a while back.

basically the thread starter, who posts an honest question, would award a "best answer" to whoever came up with the best solution to somebody's prob...

that seems a simple way to solve it..

post counts do fill forums with crap - and we saw it well with TT when it first started, we core TT visitors were with TT when it was Wilmot's Website, and the most important thing to cam was beer... (who are we kidding, Beer is still no.1!!). i say blow the post counts, they dont mean crap anymore. they never really have.

when my LANning site opened its forums door's, we too experienced the same filling of crap - goats were the main problem, most of which was my very own fault :D

regardless, adding more active moderators to the forums will combat the issue, as well as ppl using the "report post" link..
    I dont have a problem with the BG, i personally never come here, unless i am linked here from someone else.

its a fine line really between a fleeting off-topic reply and useless spam.. a very tough call for any one person to make..

I continue to drop by as many tech sections as possible, i will endeavour to continue lending the troubleshooting and support that i have always tried to offer. anyone that knows me, knows that I gladly help people with PCs whenever they want, never do i ask for anything in return.

all i can say is i do believe one sort of *shine* has been lost from TTF but none-the-less it still glistens amongst all the others. I support the Forum Topia movement, i hope you too can help us make this an even better place.
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    Beefy

Instead of just saying goodbye, could you offer us your studied opinion of what needs to be done fix things? You have to admit that a whole myriad of points have been made in this thread. While I think that most of the points have some level of merit, much of the disagreement seems seems to come in how much weight each point seems to have in the overall scheme of things. What seems to matter most to you, and, other than leaving, what do you suggest? I would welcome your opinions.
    You're right.. A lot of this stuff is very spot on. And once you get down to it, I played (not by intention) a large part in all this. I never intended a mass exit to happen.

Originally, a few weeks ago, I was just getting fed up with some of the things that were going on. Most of them were at a personal level, and a lot of them were probably self inflicted. I decided to 'disappear' for a while, collect my thoughts and possibly come back afresh. Unfortunately my comeback was a total shamble.

I don't regret anything that I did. I did it in the hope that people would stay on TT, and that things would work. I had no intention of causing this much of a ruckus, and was looking to simply fade away. I guess not.

Leaving was my decision. It's not based on any one reason over another, it was more a culmination of a lot of things. I fail to see why others are leaving because they think they played a part in something. I'm yet to see what they think they did.

Now I'm lost.......I've got no idea what's going on but I get a drift.....

Beefy....speaking from experience... there are times when we DO need to move on .. BUT ... don't run away from anything you should face.... ....you will know deep down what the right thing is...forget everyone else and do what you think is right for YOU....and you can always change your mind (SH%$ the girls do it all the time )

[Oldbugger sells soap box and takes up origami]:thumb: :thumb:
    The older I get...the better I was

Ok, I'm cheating. I'm actually on page 4, I just felt I would say this one thing:

[cartman voice]Screw you guys, I'm staying here.[/cartman voice]

From the first time I found it well over a year ago, TweakTown is the only place I have really felt I have been able to gain a foothold, and keep it. Sure, I visit a hell of a lot of other sites and forums to check up, but it's just not the same.

With the exception of a few offhand posts to the BG Games section, I feel that I have at the very least tried my best to help people with questions. The overall impression I get is that the general TT population is making an effort to share their knowledge and slay the demons of ignorance. I've also posted my share of "blithering idiot" questions :D

I agree with the ideas that we should focus on the good points of TT, and not just the bad. There should be no pond-draining or or forest-chopping. Perhaps a few things should be ironed out, but I personally see no "Doom of TweakTown Forums" on the horizon.

Anyways, nothing too large. I'm actually tired of reading myself, so I'll stop at page 4, and then pick up the reading a few hours from now!
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbugger
    Now I'm lost.......I've got no idea what's going on but I get a drift.....

Beefy....speaking from experience... there are times when we DO need to move on .. BUT ... don't run away from anything you should face.... ....you will know deep down what the right thing is...forget everyone else and do what you think is right for YOU....and you can always change your mind (SH%$ the girls do it all the time )

[Oldbugger sells soap box and takes up origami]:thumb: :thumb:
    [Buys Oldbugger's soap box and gives it back to him, as well as 100 pages of paper]

You'll be needing that soapbox again.

I honestly have no idea why people other than myself are leaving. Seems strange to me. There is nothing I'm 'running away' from. I dont know why people keep saying that. I don't regret anything I've done around here, and I don't see anything to be running away from. I stand by what I did. This has seriously blown WAY out of proportion, and it's really not necessary.

bigjackusa, you got the wrong idea. More people on the forums is better in some ways. The only gripe I expressed is that it's more difficult to control a larger community. I think you need glasses or if you already have them, get stronger ones! I've nothing against any community unless is a particular one spams and libels another. For those of you who don't know what libel means, it's published slander. And as always, bigjackusa, there will always be some bad people that will cause nothing but trouble in the forums, no matter how good the community's reputation is.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information