Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Forumtopia... join the cause!

Kay Wiggo & Co my thoughts are with you.

15th. October last visit, as l have been busy and come back to this.
    Crunch time l think not.
    #1. spam....yes there was a serious outbreak......now fixed.
    lf there is still a problem with spam in the tech section......this is for admins & mods to fix. lf it is not fixed .....this is because of the admins & mods not dealing with it asap. (sorry guys) l know you dont like to lay down the law....not the aussie way.
    Deal with it swiftly.

#2. posts.... as suggested earlier .......2 counts, 1 tech, 1 BG.

TTF is above all this

Lets fix it and get on with it.

pdv
    Eat when you are hungry, drink when you are thirsty, sleep when you are tired and work when you have to!

Well, it seems **** has indeed hit the fan...

I haven't had a chance to read through every single post in this thread since I am on holidays but I did read through the first 2 or 3 pages which gave me a fair idea of what's going on.

I am fully aware of your opinions and concerns but I have a few points which I think you should all take note of after giving it some thought and I thought as Owner of TweakTown I should let people know I am in fact aware of the issue.

1) First off the Beer Garden Games - The whole reason the BG Games Forum was setup was to stop the actual BG being filled up with game related threads. So, if you weren't interested in the game threads you would not have to see them unless you went into the BG Games forum. None of you should be complaining about it - if you have no interest in this area, it's really simple - don't visit them.

2) I understand the issues related to various users posting crap to increase their post counts. The simple cure to this would be to remove all references of post counts and what I propose is a "rating system" like Osiris suggested. We would remove post counts, and replace with Star Ratings - You get 1 to 5 stars depending on the amount of posts you do. It would be impossible and impratical for us to be able to rate by the helpfulness of each persons posts, hence we won't be doing this.

3) Once I return home from my holiday we will be revising all moderators of the forums with TweakTown staff to try and remedy this problem of people posting pointlessly. Posts we consider useless will be removed to keep threads on topic as much as possible. As many of you have suggested, I am all for seeing the forums return to what they were. Although, the only forums that I really think are filled with what people consider "pointless posts" is the BG, many of the other technical forums are fine but may require tighter moderation, which I will organise.

4) Just as a side note, the Off Topic Forum (now Beer Garden) was first created for people to talk about whatever was on their minds, so it wouldn't infect its way into the other technical forums. If you visit the Beer Garden Forum expect to find non-technical related posts. and maybe even short posts with people putting their 2 cents in.

Once I get home I will be looking at improving this situation, working with people and implementing the ideas we (as a forum community) come up with.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Now this is good! To tell you the truth I was actually waiting for you to say something. What we really need is your opinion. Because just like what you said and "SOME" others have said the BG is just for offtopic chatting. Your opinions are exactly the same as mine. Glad your acting upon this "cult".

Now if only we can get the 6 or 7 regular users to come back in.........:(

Beefy Guest

Just had a thought....

What if you:

a) removed the visible post count from the left hand column
    b) Set all titles back to default (except for special circumstances)
    c) Through admins, give recognition to helpful / regular users in the form of a standard title (example: WinXP guru, Networking Wiz, Linux guy (for Bern ;) ) etc...) so people can then see what they know.
    d) come down fairly hard on any pointless posting outside of the BG
    e) Don't do anything like the Windows XP thing again.

these are just ideas i'm throwing around.....

I don't even both reading past the 1st page on any thread because it gets so off topic , most threads start off with a legit question and end up , 15 pages later talking about god knows what. Thats why I visit these boards alot less than I used to , I'd be in here at least twice a day , about a year or so ago , now I average maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Nothing seems as interesting anymore , just off topic discussions about personal lives.
    AMD Thunderbird AXIA 1000MHz @ 1400MHz
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    Globalwin FOP-38 w/Delta
    1024MB PC2100 DDR (2-2-2)
    Leadtek Geforce 3 TD - 210/500
    Soundblaster Live!
    Plextor 16x10x40x
    20GB WD 7200RPM ATA66
    40GB WD 7200RPM ATA133
    60GB Maxtor 7200RPM ATA100
    Enlight Case / 17" Hansol Monitor

guess what? Things like that make a forum interesting. DO you relize how boring it would get if someone asked a question and got an answer and it just ended right then and there? I mean the word span in itself (to a certain extent) spells out forum. I mean ya I know what your talking about don't get me wrong. I'm just saying the way you make it sound is you want it to be like......

How do I fix this?

You do this

Thanks

That looks a bit on the boring side to me. I don't know why your complaining. This forum is a very lively forum. It is one of the most organized as well. Have you seen some of the other ones out there???

I mean I know I wasn't a member before the big burn 2 yeras ago. And I wasn't even a member in nov of 2001 when the servers came back up. BUt I have been a member long enough to keep comming back. And that is exactly what I'm doing. And I'm not gonna stop.

Well it is a relief to hear from the WebMaster himself!
    Hope you've been enjoying yourself Mr. Tweak!

It's comforting to know where you stand on this matter because ultimately your say is the one with the most weight around here.

I've said my piece (unless you want to hear it again :D ) as have several others.

I'm interested to see what changes you impart upon the community but I am sure they will be implemented in an efficient and well thought out manner as in the past.

Handle it dood:thumb:

how many funny pics do I need to post to get 1 of them stars :?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

That's the thing. Social chat should stay in the beer garden. People out in the tech part ask questions only to get answers or personal problems that RELATE TO THE TOPIC. Once a thread starts meandering off into social chat it just loses the point.

I'm probably sounding like a hypocrite here, but that's how I feel. I'm as guilty as anyone of it, but it shouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    The simple cure to this would be to remove all references of post counts and what I propose is a "rating system" like Osiris suggested. We would remove post counts, and replace with Star Ratings - You get 1 to 5 stars depending on the amount of posts you do. It would be impossible and impratical for us to be able to rate by the helpfulness of each persons posts, hence we won't be doing this.
    nice points there Mr. Tweak...

however myself personally doesnt agree with the 'star rating', with more stars awarded with more posts.

i believe it will be just the same as now, because people are still competing to get more stars.

i think a possible solution could be that posts only count towards stars if they are posted in the Tech Forums, excluding beer garden/gaming...etc...

my thoughts anyway ... :)
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    Well, it seems **** has indeed hit the fan...

I haven't had a chance to read through every single post in this thread since I am on holidays but ...
    Holidays must mean your drinking lots of beer.
    What a wonderful leader we have!

^ Is that off topic? This is still the BG ya know.....

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information