Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tweakers Hate #12 - What Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbugger
    How in the hell can the tech industry hope to sell newer, bigger, better, faster stuff when what we already have is way past what we NEED....what now???
    In a nutshell, it is called GREED. A lot of power users just have to own the latest and greatest. Whether it be a new processor or the latest in video card technoligies, they just have to own this new gadgetry. And let's not forget the upcoming DDR2 memory. It is getting ready to have its debut in the new NV30 based video cards, so how long before it becomes a viable addition to the motherboard for use as system memory?

Though I am content with my current system, others are not. For these folks, it will be a constant battle to maintain the best of the best as far as components go.

Can you say Hammer?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I can say Athlon 64. :D

Though one of those will be a long time gettin' here for me. :(

Rumour has it that DDRII is already under testing with the above. ;)

HAMMER...there

but what am I gunna run on it that means I must have it???? That's my point......I don't need to run any of my 32 bit apps any faster and what 64bit apps are there anyway??? yet I should add.

I agree with Darth that the technophiles will have to get the latest and greatest but the gap between realistically upgrading for legitimate reasons and what they are trying to sell now is getting huge. My system will cope with anything (that I want to run anyway) for a long long time to come.

This is why M$ is pushing Paladium and the hardware companies are eager to follow....cause if you don't have the new hardware, then you can't run the software and if you don't have the software the hardware won't work properly. Just like at the moment..if you by a M$ mouse then it won't work properly till it can call M$ servers to activate certain parts of the software.

Some how I think our freedom to chose when and what we upgrade is not going to be left totally to us much longer...a lot of it will be dictated to us by multinational companies for purely commercial (theirs) reasons.

Do you thing the recent M$ licensing/activation approach was just by chance.....and that Intel and AMD are building Paladium capabilities into their chips???? They will be able to switch off functionality anytime it suits them (or their revenue streams)...
    The older I get...the better I was

Wise words Oldbugger, scary but wise.

Throw the RIAA into the mix and the whole "honorable" computing concept and George Orwell's nightmare comes alive right on your desktop.

Not trying to give anyone nightmares now mind you, but it is looking like it is becoming feasible.
    Question is, will it be implemented in that manner?

Seems to me the governing bodies of nations can save themselves a lot of legislative effort, by allowing these types of hardware-software locks to be set up.

Only time will tell.

when I think about stuff like this, my PIII is looking better all the time :?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Well for now i'l happy with my p3 500, tnt2 m64, 128mb pc100, 12gb hdd

oh wait..... what am i saying!!!

i want bigger and better
    TT Original

Olie, what do ya say to an XP1800+, EPoX 8K3A, 512MB PC2700, R9000 and 80GB WD "JB"? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

!!!!! !!!!!!

*gasp*

:thumb:
    TT Original

I thought as much. :D

Install a Wi-Fi 802.11x network at your place! :D
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I've had one for quite a while Mr. Tweak..and I LOVE it!!!.....

No running cables, simple setup, functionality...what more could you ask for...

And like the rest of you... my PIII 866 is doing just fine for me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information