Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canberra Fires

Try working for it Slamo. That's a very stupid comment you've made mate :mad: The $10,000 assistance is for those who lost a house and have no insurance, so it's pretty much nothing if you are in that boat.

Rob Decastella lives up the road from my parents and he's lost everything - all his medals, records, his home, his dogs. We found a dead dog under the burnt out shell of car before. There are some things money will never replace.

Now it turns out we can't drink the tap water (which is some of the best in Australia usually) because sewerage is spilling into the Molongolo. This is a warning for all ACT residents, not just those in the affected areas.

My parents till don't have electricity at their place, and most weston creek homes don't have power.

The wind has picked up, but my parent's place seems fine now and near my place (Palmerston in north canberra) the smoke has cleared and temp has dropped. No sign of fires.

It's strange...I'm not sure what I'm going to do at work tomorrow except compare stories and figure out how we can help those who've been affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamo
    Hmmmmmm......................Wouldn't mind ,000 atm
    Think before typing Simon.

:thumbs do
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Beefy Guest

Why would Slamo care about offending people? He never has before.

Things are looking pretty grim there still. Saw the Rob Decastella thing on the news earlier. He was putting on a brave face about it all...

You've got some pretty severe water / sewerage problems ahead of you as well. The water will be filling up with silt and ash, plus when it rains next it'll just fill up with more, so that's gonna be a long term problem. And with the sewerage plant out of operation, you don't have long until that starts flowing into other major waterways, namely the Murrumbidgee... I just hope for everyone's sake that they can get things fixed as fast as possible.

After watching the news, it all looks pretty devastating.
    I can't believe that some ppl are taking advantage of this situation to line their own pockets, like selling a packet of batteries for over $12Aus, that's lower that a snake. Then the fella caught looting just puts the icing on the cake.
    Some people just have no morals.

I'm glad to hear you and your family's are still alright. Someone's watching over you that's for sure.
    New rig
    P4 Titan 8S655FX
    PENTIUM 4 Intel 2.8c
    KINGMAX 2x512 DDR
    GeForce4 MX440
    DVD: LITEON x 16
    CDRW:LITEON 52x32x52
    LG FLATRON F700B
    NEWMEN OPTICAL MOUSE

OldBugger, PersianImmortal....

My thoughts, hopes and prayers are with you, your families and your communities right now...I hope Mother Nature calms down and spares you from any further harm..

PLEASE take care!!!

Thankfully things seem to have settled a bit....I'm now back at my place on the northside (Nicholls near PI actually) I was over at the dorta's helping a lot of the people prepare their houses etc . The dorta's house at Holder was real lucky with houses three up from hers lost....will be running some of the in-laws around over the next few days just to get thing sorted...they lost everything including cars etc...

Today and tomorrow will be a bit challenging for a lot of people as well as the firefighters. I don't know how those who lost it all are going to cope...where do they start??
    The older I get...the better I was

I've been following this thread since just after you started it Oldbugger.
    I haven't said much because, quite frankly I was a bit overwhelmed to see my friends in such dire straits and me being here about as useless as I could possibly be.

The wife 'n' I are thinking of you all, and saying our prayers for everyone as well.

I must say, you folks have provided much more information on this tragedy than I can get from the news channels over here by a long shot.
    Thanks a bunch for taking the time to do all that

I hope the losses will end soon and the long process of recovery can begin.

Godspeed
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Officially no more deaths
    Officially 402 homes gone....over $100m in insurance and that's with 25% uninsured.
    $45m for Mount Stromlo Observatory
    Sewerage now OK
    Power now back to all but 5%

Things will get a bit tetchy tomorrow...

Sons house in Belconnen (NW Canberra) has been under evac alert since Saturday and tomorrow they will be at "extreme risk" according to the authorities.

In the NE where PI and I live we will be under alert tomorrow with a fire about 5km away. They put fire breaks all around today but 40km winds in mid-30s temps expected tomorrow will easily cross them.

PI and us should be OK. PI has a lake between him and the fire and I have the helicopter refueling point close by (and they won't lose that...unless they abandon it).
    I spose its up to the roof to block the gutters and fill them with water etc etc etc.. in the morning.

BUT IT WILL BE NOTHING LIKE SATURDAY.

Talk about smoke...I live in a two storey on top of a hill and I can see 500m at most..

The media get up the nose...they are idiots....they are trying to suggest this could have been prevented.....A mate from work who lost his house in Duffy told me today that his was one of the first to go. The fireball leapt 2 streets and 4 houses to get his...you can't stop that....30yr old BIG trees were blown down by the force of the fireball...not burned but just blown down with the fireball passing at over 120km/h...... Honestly the media are real idiots....
    The older I get...the better I was

Good luck to ya's all down there and hopefully the worst is now over. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Back in 1983 when the Ash Wednesday bushfired burnt out our area of victoria, it devistated hundreds of farmers and even burnt towns down. No aid was given.

Now that canberra has been hit, everyone, not just the uninsured people get $10,000 each.

I feel deeply for the people who lost family's and homes, I just find it funny that little johnny steps up his response to the fires by about 300% as soon as canberra is hit.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information