Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Canberra Fires

Shaking head.... this could of been prevented somewhat then. I know here although they do the burnoffs, it doesn't prevent fires it just helps control them better.

Its a shame!! Maybe next season they will consider starting doing them again!! Lesson learned....

I echo everyone comments and Slamo that was abit below the belt.

saying that we had fires come into wollongong north Both this year and last and its a very scary thing.
    Do we pack up and get out or wait and hope for the best.
    PI wow your family are one bunch of lucky people.
    Lets hope that the weather cools down and the threat disappears.

-nutty
    AMD Athlon 2400+ @ 2.26Ghz @1.9Core Cooled With Thermalright AX-7 | EPoX 8K5A2+ | 768Mb PC-2700DDR Corsair XMS | Leadtek GForce4 Ti4400 | Hercules Fortissimo II | 80Gb Seagate HDD | Liteon 12x DVD | Aopen 40x12x48 | Samsung SyncMaster 957p 1600X1200@75Hz | Modded Aopen HX-08 with 300W Aopen PSU | Windows XP Pro SP1

ICQ :159735580 | MSN : nutty_33@hotmail.com | Email : nutty_33@iinet.com.au

It is very bad news these fires.

Best of luck to everyone that is in a fire risk zone today.

It is easy to see who deserves the credit around these times, the fire fighters, what a fantastic job they do; most of them are volunteers, putting their life on the line to save others.

My best wishes goes out to all the firefighters out there during this season.
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

The Elephants are coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by StormyWeather
    Shaking head.... this could of been prevented somewhat then. I know here although they do the burnoffs, it doesn't prevent fires it just helps control them better.

Its a shame!! Maybe next season they will consider starting doing them again!! Lesson learned....
    It's not that so much, our forests burn very very hot due to the oil in the eucalyptus trees, they drop leaves all year round and release vapors into large pockets and ignite causing a massive fireball.

Not sure about the American fires, but apparently Australia has hotter fires

:confused:
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

The Elephants are coming!!

A lot of the comments are valid but I don't know that it would have done a lot....some of the worst area was burnt out only 15 months ago in Xmas fires in 2001.....this was a unique series of natural characteristics that combined
    38c temps
    60-80 km winds
    zero humidity
    drought leaving the bush like tinder
    water restrictions (because of the drought) which left gardens dry

the fire moved 600m in less than 2 minutes in a self generated and self feeding fireball...

We are on alert again this weekend with similar conditions expected tomorrow BUT there is a LOT of hardware and a lot of containment work done....plus there is no forests as such near to us .....

530 houses now and a cost of $350m....still thankfully no further deaths but 300 injuries....

I just wish it would all end...but that won't happen till we get good consistent rain....that's not expected for months and these fires will just keep flaring up in spots they can't get to because they are in real rugged country which is inaccessible....
    The older I get...the better I was

I know I am posting from an outsider's point-of-view but the thought of anyone losing their home, their belongings, their memories, their livelihood, anywhere around the world is simply appalling.
    No amount of money could compensate for this loss whether you are insured or not. The money simply does not replace what you have lost; emotions. It is only when you own your home, filled with your own memories that you begin to understand this.

btw for other "outsiders", here is a reasonably balanced (ie two sided) web page with links to other articles and explanations about the fires, how they happen, why they happen, the politics and politicians, and the devastation etc here .

and guys, for those of you still at risk, all I can (pitifully) say is: good luck for the weekend.:(

Canberra is only one part of the fires (albeit the most property loss) but the ACT, SE of NSW and NE Victoria have had 750,000 hectares (1.8million acres or over 2,800 square miles) burnt by fire since the lighning strikes on 8 January. Already (1pm) over 37 c here today with strong NW winds.... the temp will climb a few more yet and the winds will pick up a bit more......In Victoria they are expecting temps around 42C and they have gale force winds to content with...it must be like hell for them.....and would you believe the weather people have said the smoke cover is keeping the temps lower than would normally be expected......sheesh.... Tasmania looks real nice at the moment (NW Tassy that is...26C)

Oldbugger done medium rare
    The older I get...the better I was

I'd have to say this is one of the hottest summer's we've had for along time and one of the most devastating.

Temperatures are hitting over the 40's during the last week or so.

Stupid thing is, we booked to go see Riverdance at the Canberra Stadium over a month ago (on 12 Feb). I don't really feel like going there now, a bit risky in my books.
    New rig
    P4 Titan 8S655FX
    PENTIUM 4 Intel 2.8c
    KINGMAX 2x512 DDR
    GeForce4 MX440
    DVD: LITEON x 16
    CDRW:LITEON 52x32x52
    LG FLATRON F700B
    NEWMEN OPTICAL MOUSE

I think that it'll be pretty safe by then sis. ;)

39C here atm. :eek:

Maybe, but it might be hard to find accommodation.
    *might just pack the tent instead.*

But the point of going for a week was to go sight-seeing, which won't be a pretty sight from all the devistation the fires have caused.
    New rig
    P4 Titan 8S655FX
    PENTIUM 4 Intel 2.8c
    KINGMAX 2x512 DDR
    GeForce4 MX440
    DVD: LITEON x 16
    CDRW:LITEON 52x32x52
    LG FLATRON F700B
    NEWMEN OPTICAL MOUSE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information