Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Canberra Fires

This is truly a teribble thing.

I hope the insurances companies dont F**k about with the payments,

but sure there are many things that money canot replace,which must hurt the most.

It serves a a reminder that nature is still a much greater force that man and must be respected.

I'm not sure how this started but if it was deliberate then only
    public execution for the perpitrator iis in order.

I hope this fire dies ASAP.:hammer:
    • Q: What is the difference between erotic sex and kinky sex?
    A: During erotic sex you use a feather, during kinky sex you use the whole chicken.

FG
    most of the fires have started as a result of a heap of lightning strikes on 8 January...a couple of absolute idiots have been caught trying to light fires and are still in custody...no bail....they believe a couple of the fires may have been deliberatly lit.

Wiggo's Sis
    Strongly suggest you try and organise accomm now....it is almost impossible to get....there are over 2500 people homeless from the fires and they are putting them wherever they can.

All up they reckon over a million hectares now...for the US people thats 2.5 million acres or around 3,700 sq miles.....and there is a way to go yet......Wednesday and Thursday will see temps in the high 30's again with strong N/NW winds again for all SE Australia. Victoria is now copping it big time and with all the preparation and equipment they can't control it. One fire front has joined with another making it over 120km (70 miles) by itself....thats without the dozens of other fires burning.

Yesterday in the backyard it got to 41c and was still 38c last night at 9 pm....that's REALLY unusual for Canberra....we normally get good respite from the heat at night because of our higher elevation. Thank goodness we got a bit of cooler weather today and tomorrow.

I understand there has been some more Canberra bashing in the press (for overseas people some States like to have a go at the Nation's capital for whatever reason). That idiot, Macguiness (??) who writes for the Sydney Morning Herald ought get his butt down here and see what has happened and what is going on....he is a total F$#@wit. He has no idea. Even one of the world's expert (Cheyney from the CSIRO) in wildfires said that the firestorm that hit the suburbs of Canberra was, his words, "the perfect fire". The community response is overwhelming in helping those who have lost and appreciating the incredible efforts by the firefighters, who many as volunteers are risking their lives. Let that idiot Macguiness come down here and voice his opinions......
    The older I get...the better I was

I've just read this whole thread...WOW (in a bad way):( :cry: :thumbs do
    It's winter here in Canada, and we've had temperatures of -40C with the wind factor this past week ! Everyone here has been complaining about how cold it is.

My wife got sick (a cold) last week.
    My car didn't want to start on the first try.

Hardly the same concerns you have in Canberra and surrounding area's.

Some times we don't realize that it could be worst. We could be loosing our houses, valuables, and (more importantly), our loved ones...

My heart goes out to everyone affected, and I wish that things get under control as soon as possible.
    Good luck to you.
    SPAM Special Ops

Macguiness, wouldn't last long in the hands of the ppl I'm sure.

Until you've actually seen the devistation you don't really understand what's really going on. How the ppl are feeling, the toll it has taken on ppl's lives. It would be heart-wrenching to be in that sort of situation and atm everyone within the lower part of Australia is at risk. Considering the high temp's and wind gusts that are occurring anything is possible at the moment.
    New rig
    P4 Titan 8S655FX
    PENTIUM 4 Intel 2.8c
    KINGMAX 2x512 DDR
    GeForce4 MX440
    DVD: LITEON x 16
    CDRW:LITEON 52x32x52
    LG FLATRON F700B
    NEWMEN OPTICAL MOUSE

We have a nice southerly today so it's only 31C here at midday. :D

now where is my jumper? :laugh:

Did ya's get much rain this morning down in the capitol? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I was watching the news today and the U.S. was loading 2 of those big dumping helicopters.... and heading it to you guys.

Most of our fires here start from lighting... and during the summer months just sets off all the dry shrubs into an out of control fire. (Nothing like what you are going threw) Remembers just last summer I think.... a lady lost in the forest set a little bomb fire that turned into an out of control fire that distroyed many homes. (What should happen in this case??? should she go to prision... for being lost and lighting a fire to send smoke signals??)

Remembering the devastation of Hurricane Andrew and all the homes that were lost.... how insurance companys such as FIMA could not pay out what they owed and fell under leaving lots of people and there lives in pure uproar. Insurance companys are not equiped to hand mass devastaion all at once. (this is how it is in the states, Im not sure if its the same over there)

All I know is when I was a kid we had a fire in our house that pretty much ruined everything... i know the feeling of losing everything and it really sucks. It just seemed that everything of major value was spaired (which was a godsent) but as a kid it took away all my toys .... and my moms insurance had laps by 3 weeks.... the insurance company laughed at her and told her "TO BAD....SO SAD" she fought them in court and won... they never send her a renewal letter so she was unaware and the judge found in my moms favor and all was well!!

"GOOD LUCK everyone in effected areas hope all goes well"!!

About the rain Wiggo......we got a real fine misty drizzle for about 30 minutes but it evaporated before it hit the ground...or at least it didn't wet it...the weather bloke said it is typical of mid-level cloud rain in hot dry conditions...it usually doesn't hit the ground...all it did was make the place bloody humid when the sun came out...at least the humidity helped the fire fighters...

We are now off alert and the danger has passed us (Canberra only at this stage)...

The rest of SE Australia is still in danger with the hot conditions expected in the next day or two......some old houses in Victorian high country which have stood since the 1840's in all the droughts and bushfires of those past years have been lost.....even with all the preparation and equipment they couldn't be saved......the conditions they say that have led to these fires in SE Australia have never been experienced before in Australian recorded history since settlement.....

Well the place we're movin' to had the fires thru up there before Xmas but the town is surrounded by open land and the state forest is 3km away so at least that's something I don't have to worry about too much there. :)

Good to hear...just remember that some of the wind-blown embers from the forests here were causing spot fires up to 10km ahead of the firefront.......or so the firefighters reckon ... particularly in the really strong winds

enjoy the wilds....sounds great.....where roughly will you be goin to.......

A little place called Deepwater on the New England Hwy just north of Glenn Innes. :)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information