Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 3DMark2001 SE scores

Hey guys, I recently read an article on Xtrememods.com (http://www.xtrememods.com/articles/3DMark01.shtml) on increasing 3dMark score. They suggust changing the default settings as one of the ways to achieve higher marks. I sent this email to the author:

To: robert.simmons@xtrememods.com
    Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 3:16 AM
    Subject: Xtrememods.com Articles : 3DMark 2001
    Benchmarking

Isnít changing the default settings in 3dMark cheating? I believe almost everyone I have talked to considers this to be unfair.

Then he replied with:

Hi there,
    Thanks for your comments on the article.
    Changing the default settings is not cheating, how do u think all the others managed to get such high a score without changing anything? It's not cheating and many people at Madonion adjust the default settings.
    Hope this could have been some help to you.
    Yours sincerely,
    Robert Simmons
    http://www.xtrememods.com

Is it me, or is this not correct? I think changing the color depth to 16 bit from 32bit is an extreme form of cheating, since I ran 3dMark2001se at defaults, except fro changing the color depth to 16bit. I got 4806 Marks, compared to my 32bit score of 4605. I'd say a 201 point increase is quite a lot, for "just changing the default settings". I bet I could get a good score if I ran it at 640x480 as well. Where is the standard, people?
    <font color="darkgreen">God's l33t Counter-Striken Box - Powered by Jeff K and Vanilla Ice<br>- AMD Duron 800 - ECS K7S5A motherboard - Thermaltake Volcano II w/ 60mm<br>- Gainward GeForce3 TI 200/450 - 512mb ****ty SDR ram<br>- Aopen Full Tower modded case - 3Com NIC card - Sony Trinitron Flatscreen 17"<br>- Promise ATA66 IDE Controller - Seagate 60gb 5400rpm - Western Digital 13gb 5400rpm<br>- hp cd16 16x10x40 cdrw - Altec Lansing ATP3 Speakers - Mistsumi Mirror Floppy Drive<br>- 5 80mm case fans + 2 92mm case fans - Immeasurable Power and Omnipotence</font></p>

While it's not exactly cheating, it is misleading since most folks who are true tweakers use the default benchmarks. When I do any testing of video cards, motherboards, or anything else in which I use the 3dMark utilities, I always use default settings. I also state in the narrative of the testing section that the tests were run in this manner so that there is no misunderstanding.

It could conceivably be considered all right if the tester states clearly that the testing wasn't performed at default settings, AND if all testing is performed with identical settings used. Anything less than this should be considered deliberate deception.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I agree Darth, its like cooling...you have to compare apples with apples.....if not you are only kidding yourself.....
    The older I get...the better I was

It is not cheating!
    My System:
    AMD XP1700+@XP2000
    ECS K7S5a Motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 DDR Ram
    Geforce 2 Pro 64 MB

If I use non-standard benchmarks, I will state that clearly in the review. Often non-standard benchmarks can be used to test specific things, such as 640x480@16bpp to test CPU performance :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Quote Originally Posted by MySTiCuSS
    It is not cheating!
    I'm beginning to see how you scored so well on your 3dMark scores... huh? For comparison purposes, you should use the default settings. Anything else is misleading to say the least.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

If ya don't use the default settings ya not givin' any parity in scores with other ppl. ;)

i agree, it kinda defeats the whole object of benchmarking if you run it on super crap settings.

I always run at the default value! I swear!
    My System:
    AMD XP1700+@XP2000
    ECS K7S5a Motherboard
    512 MB PC2700 DDR Ram
    Geforce 2 Pro 64 MB

Hmmmmmmmmmm You could kinda say that but hell... the people with better depth is always better score because its more realistic than lower resolutions and colour depth.

I used 1024 x 786 @ 32BPP and i got 4776 ... beefy what id u use then hehe :)

Sammy
    Programmers Love games
    Just like Meh! :D

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread Information