Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we using the right benchmarks for our reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatguy3
    But when it comes to certain games, thats where it all counts. Certain game engines might run better/worse with different settings on certain cards, and at least If im using a barton 2500 and you're using a barton 2500, and same memory/HD speed (very possible to happen) the FPS's will most likely be the same, as other factors wont affect too much. So if im only getting 80 FPS in RTCW on my ti4200, and I see you getting 150 or so with a different card, I can see a real world gain in performance.
    That's odd. On my 3.0 Pentium 4, 512 PC3200, and Radeon 9800 Pro, I'm getting perhaps worse speeds than what you're getting on the Ti. Oftentimes, UT2003 runs better than RTCW.

I'm basing this on Enemy Territory, not the original, but it's still somewhat strange to be getting those scores.

As for the games to use...all of the ones that have been stated are pretty much fine. Can't think of anything else coming out in the near future that could be used...although, come to think of it now, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow might work out as a benchmark...it's going to be very CPU and DX9 intensive.
    This is where my signature would go had my host not been such a Bandwidth Nazi.

I would like to see Real Storm's Raytrace benchmark under CPU/CHIPSET

http://www.realstorm.com/benchmark.html

Gl Excess is one of my favorite benching/testing programs. It's getting a bit long in the tooth but there is supposed to be a new version in the near future.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Personally I think we should use PCmark2002, untill PCmark2004 catches on, as PCmark02 gives a good indication and a good way to compare scores

When Doom3 comes out, it will be adopted as the sole relevant graphical benchmark. Doom 3 will have more new engine features than any game has introduced since Q1. Nearly all FPS's in the next 4 years will be based on the Doom 3 engine, and therefore, if your card plays D3 well, it will pretty much own any other petty game currently on the list.

E.G. Does it matter whether or not Card A gets 350 FPS in Jedi Knight 2 (Based on Q3) while Card B gets 400 FPS?? NO THAT DIFFERENCE IS IRRELEVANT ! (just as 3,000 FPS in Doom1 is irrelevant)
    1.) No user can appreciate that difference.
    2.) The difference is not applicable to other games or will ever be!
    3.) The Q3 engine is 4 years 4 months old, and still being used as a benchmark! D3 will have equal staying power.

Doom 3 will also provide a direct relevant ratio to all future games based on the engine, which people will be buying cards to play anyways.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

One statement:

John Carmack = God

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Well you can't forget about Half-Life 2 now...:D..Even though the first one was barely based off the quake 1 engine.. And you could only get a max of 100 fps. HL2 will be diffrent. John Carmack is good indeed, Doom III has the best shading, and shadows i have ever seen. Half Life 2 has the overall game engine.. Espcially with there HaVok Physics system.

But don't forget about my post on RayTrace.. No matter how fast your CPU is.. This Bencmark WIll Really test it. And it seems to have better preformance on Athlon's since they have 9 instructions per clock cycle rather than the Pentium 4's 6.

Quote Originally Posted by sepherum2ya
    Well you can't forget about Half-Life 2 now...:D..Even though the first one was barely based off the quake 1 engine.. And you could only get a max of 100 fps. HL2 will be diffrent. John Carmack is good indeed, Doom III has the best shading, and shadows i have ever seen. Half Life 2 has the overall game engine.. Espcially with there HaVok Physics system.
    Half Life will be used as a benchmark for a year or so, but none the less, if a system plays Doom3 well, it will play HL2 well, BUT if a system plays HL2 well, it will not necessarily play Doom3 well, or at all. That makes Doom3 a more relevant, longer lasting benchmark.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Well then don't forget about my RealStorm Raytrace idea. IT's the best.. IT makes the fastest cpu's crumble..

Wow, the 26 meg video on this page looks awfully graphically intense... http://www.realstorm.com/Screenshots.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information