Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 3DMark05 Scores

Default Re: 3DMark05 Scores

Hehe, told you so. If you didn't, follow the instructions on www.tweakguides.com for the Control Center because it installs a lot of extra, removable crap that will hurt performance a lot. It can take anywhere from 40MB to 100MB of memory, which is way too much for background applications.

I hate the CCC, so i have the non-CCC 4.10 release with standard "old" control panel.

I hate it too, but you need it for Catalyst AI, or which is basically application-specific driver optimization. It makes a huge difference in many games and possibly even 3DMark05. It's easily worth the time it takes to remove the CCC's related startup entries for the improvement you'll get.

I like to think my image quality is 100%, I stayed away from geforce FX due to Nvidia's past optimisations (shader replacement etc). I always use FSAA and anisotropic filtering in games, and im tired of this 9600's "brilinear" filtering, which causes problems in a few games (visible mipmap transitions on surfaces). I like the fact Nvidia has sorted out their image quality with the geforce 6 series and the Directx 9.0c compliance is also nice. Catalyst A.I. doesnt suit my tastes at all.

Edit: The seperate Direct3D and OpenGL settings are useful to me, due to the games i play i find 4x FSAA + 8x aniso is good for OpenGL and 2x FSAA + 8x aniso is good for Direct3D games without killing the framerate.
    Last edited by sr4470; 11-03-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew
    Before I game I always have around 12 services running.

mate could you plz list the services that you have running?

after a small vid card o/c I've got my score up to 5338
    64/3500+ | Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 | Gainy 6800 GS golden sample using 71.20 and DX 90c| 1Gb Geil PC3200 | WD 120Gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer | XP Pro + SP1 | Pioneer DVD burner dual layer | Antec 480 watt truepower wrapped in a Enermax 710B case | Dell 21" Trinitron.....etc

He meant processes, not services. I have 11 or 10, depending on whether or not I close Explorer. But you need to understand that I turn off my antivirus, firewall, all applications, and disable a lot of functionality. You'll want to read through Windows XP Tweaking: Reformat to Relax" on www.tweakguides.com. You'll also want to read through the services guide on www.blackviper.com. But remember, you'll end up temporarily disabling functionality in many way every time you game to get so few (10-13) processes, and it won't be much worse at 15 or greater but your computer will still function without needing you to go into services.msc and starting services that you had stopped.

sr4470, if you check the tests using Catalyst AI, you'll find that they don't reduce image quality at all.

Yes I meant processes. Another good thing to do is create a bat file that will stop the services not required for gaming. To do this just create a new text document on your desktop called "netstop.bat". Now you cna go to start -> run _> "services.msc" then look at any of the services that are running that are not required for gaming. Now that you know what ones you want to disable just put a line like this in the .bat file

NET STOP "Automatic Updates"

Do that for every service you want disabled. and save the .bat file. NOw when you double click this all your services that you chose to stop will stop. This is really helpful for anti-virus and other stuff.

If you want to start these services back up later after gfaming then just do the same thing but name the file "netstart.bat" and for every service that is in the other change STOP to START so it will look like this.

NET START "Automatic Updates"

I thought about doing that, but I'm usually to lazy to create batch files for this type of thing, even though it would be easier than regularly going into services.msc...

I find it very helpful as all I have to do is double click the netstop.bat file and it will quickly stop all of them listed. Then after gaming i just run netstart.bat so my other stuff works.

Yeah, I went and set it up so it'll turn off (and on) my AV and printing services. I leave just about everything else disabled anyway since I'll be reformatting this thing soon (ie no need for the Windows Update crap).

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information