Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This right?

Default This right?

I'm only get like 30-60fps in most outdoor places in far cry at all high settings res at 1280x1024 with this setup:

AMD64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe
    Crucial 512mb Ballistix
    Evga 6800GT
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    40gb WD 7200rpm w/ 8mb cache
    Albatron GF4 Ti4200 Turbo 128mb
    Windows XP Home

Default Re: This right?

Doesn't sound right at all.

How did you go about installing drivers? It should be done like so:

Service Pack 1 or 2 (for XP, that is), if needed
    Chipset (via.com)
    Direct X 9.0C (microsoft.com)
    Video card drivers (nvidia.com)
    Sound drivers (realtek.com)
    Other drivers
    Software

It's also possible you just have things setup poorly. Go through www.tweakguides.com and read the applicable guides. Particularly, the Windows XP Tweaking Guide (I'm assuming you're using Windows XP or at least 2000).

I believe chipset comes before service packs, since you need chipset to operate most ethernet cards onboard or pci extensions.

Not if you can help it. In fact, some chipset drivers require (well, they tell you to install it first in the documentation) you to have Service Pack 1. If you have it downloaded already, it's best to install it first or, better yet, integrate it with the installation CD.

Oh, i guess then, but most of the time, for most of the mobos i had, i had to install chipset drivers before service packs.

Modern motherboards ask for the SP1 to be installed before the chipset drivers so that USB 2.0 will be enabled properly when you install the mainboard drivers.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

okay, well, I guess I shouldn't have left out that I installed XP with the latest software, which includes SP2. I believe, I'm not sure because it was late and I was tired, but I think I installed windows, then the asus mobo disk (most likely I ran the disk and got the new hyperions off viaarena.com), the the video drivers (from guru3d.com, the latest uhh 66.81) then sound from creative labs site (audigy2 zs), then uhh... I think that's it. Those fps were with patch 1.2 as well. Oh and dx9 comes with the xp software I believe. Reinstalling windows would be a pain in the ass, and it's a system I build for my brother, and he has it already, so he wouldn't like the sound of that. Also he might not even want to play far cry I was just using it as an example. I also installed star wars battlefront and rome total war (first battle -small scale), both set at max res and settings ran flawlessly.
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    Windows XP Home

Try this. Service Pack 2 shouldn't hurt performance that much. However, I'd suggest you keep cheking www.tweakguides.com until Persian finishes his XP Tweaking Companion, which should give good advice for those using SP2.

What other games have you tried, besides those three? If it's just FarCry, then reinstalling that might be a way to fix it (try reinstalling it and then not immediately patching; maybe the patch causes it).

Far Cry - before and after it was patched to 1.2

Star War Battlefront - Ran flawless at max settings & 1280x1024 res

Rome: Total War - Max settings as well 1280x1024 res. Only a small battle though so I don't know how the bigger stuff will be, but again, no choppies whatsoever. I should get fraps and check it, but I doubt it went below 60fps.

-I don't know how this tweaking will help. Most of the stuff in the guides I usually do. Besides the fact that the games were played with virtually nothing else on the system. I ran 3DMark05 and 03 before any games. '05 was about 4500 and '03 was 10800.

-And by reinstalling, do you mean just the game or the whole OS?
    -I've also got the latest drivers from guru3d.com, like 66.81 or something.
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    Windows XP Home

The game.

I know where you got the drivers. Use nVidia. Guru3d didn't make the video card, try the actual drivers forom nvidia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information