Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCmark Troubles..

Default PCmark Troubles..

Every time that I run PCmark04 or 05, it gets about half way through, then I get the ol' blue screen of death.

I'm not overclocking at all, specs are in my sig. I have Media Encoder 9 and WMP10 installed as well.

Anyone know why I might be crashing like this? Is there something I missed about the program, or could it be a hardware problem?

Default Re: PCmark Troubles..

What power supply are you using? What temperatures are you getting on the X2?

It gets to step Raw Block Write - 8MB and then just stops about halfway through the task.

Idols at about 23C. Highest temp I saw before the lockup was 38C ( it locked up @ 33 though ).
    PSU is in my sig now but for the sake of saying it, it's 480W..

I wouldn't think my power supply would be the problem seeing as how I don't have an SLI setup, correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by DemyZe; 01-18-2006 at 07:24 AM.

There's a good chance it is. A 7800GT and X2 4400 will eat up a lot of power, though I think you'd probably be in better shape than this.

Quote Originally Posted by DemyZe
    It gets to step Raw Block Write - 8MB and then just stops about halfway through the task.
    Huh?

But that reminds me, try memtest86+ from my signature, unless that's what you were referring to.

Step 21 of 40 in PCmark04 is labeled as "Raw Block Write - 8MB"
    when it gets to this step, it gets about halfway through the task, and then everything locks up completely.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what it could be..nevertheless ill try memtest too
    Last edited by DemyZe; 01-18-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Okay, I tried memtest and got no errors at all, I let it run 3 times and still got no errors. But I still end up with the same crash every time. I don't understand it. I think I'll take this one over to anandtech and see if anyone has any suggestions unless someone else can think of something here?

What I was getting to was power supply. That PSU isn't quite as powerful as I would want for this system, though I'd be suprised if it were really this unstable just because of the PSU.

Well that's what I'm thinking. Honestly I think it should be enough, granted I'm not as experienced as you are but still..it just seems kinda rediculous that a non SLI, non overclocked system couldn't be powered by this power supply. The thing is, I have no trouble in ANY other tests, prime95 works fine, all the 3DMarks run great..I got a 3975 3Dmark score in 06 and a 1594 CPU score.

I mean, does PC mark really stress your system THAT much more or something? I just don't see why this is the only program that doesn't work..

If it passes Prime95 then I say it's a software issue and probably not your system's fault. Who cares about PCMark anyway? It's a benchmark program that basically tells you nothing.

There are soooo many reasons for it to fail like that, you could spend weeks trying to figure it out. Personally, I do not like ABIT boards and want to blame it for your problems. Is the bios the latest available for it? Have you made sure it is fully compatible with the X2 CPU? Antec power supplies are known to have issues with high end hardware. I am not a big fan of them either. Also, make sure that the timings for your ram are set properly in bios. Do not rely on the bios to do it right.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information