Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: any mechanics out there?

a guy at school is thinking of selling his 2.8L Supra engine (cos he cant fit duel turbos to it) and i was wondering if i could whip it into my '82 corolla which has a pissy little 1.3L engine.

thx Olie
    TT Original

Well it's probably possible but whether they would allow it on the road is another thing. A lot of other parts of the car would have to be upgraded to like gearbox, diff, brakes. suspension, etc. etc.... :smokin:

this baby has brand new brakes and dif
    needs tighter suspension for sure
    well teh gear box speaks for its self
    clutch in all teh way.......CRUNCH! need to muscle it into reverse :bounce:
    TT Original

The thing is those components on ya car were only meant to handle a certain amont of force and weight so with a more powerful and heavier engine it's very likely that the gearbox, diff and /or axles would so go. The brakes were not designed for the extra weight and perfomance you would be adding plus the suspension certainly would need a bit of modification to handle the extra wieght that's being added. :smokin:

lets just say that the front brakes on this car were fitted for making sure that the car didn't move, if you get my drift ;)

sus can be fixed easily...... gear box, well i can get one of tjose for basically nothing, only reason i don't have it now is 'cos my engine doesn't have the power to utilise it
    TT Original

Quote Originally Posted by Olie
    a guy at school is thinking of selling his 2.8L Supra engine (cos he cant fit duel turbos to it) and i was wondering if i could whip it into my '82 corolla which has a pissy little 1.3L engine.

thx Olie
    Well, seeming the Supra engine is a 6cyl, and the corolla engine is a 4cyl, the answer is no, it can be done, but, with a lot of work, you would have to change all of the engine mounts, install a supra gearbox (the corolla gearbox would not take the power), install either a cut down VL commodore diff, or a Supra diff, replace the brakes (all round disc for a start) then you have the problem with the chassis strength, If I was to do this mod, I would actually ladder (strengthen) the chassis by welding strengthening plates along the chassis, I would then think of changing the suspension to compensate with the extra weight at the front of the car due to the supra engine.......

So In Hein sight you would be better off buying another car that can be easily modded..
    :)

well
    looks like i'm getting a new car at the end of the year anyway
    will have 8-9k to spend as well :D
    TT Original

Depends if you are going for power or reliability :)

hmmm i'm thinking dihatsu charade GTi

its bloody fast, got A/C and fuel efficent
    TT Original

Quote Originally Posted by Olie
    hmmm i'm thinking dihatsu charade GTi

its bloody fast, got A/C and fuel efficent
    Havn't driven many cars have you Olie? :p

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information