Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car accident... problems

Default car accident... problems

Dunno if this belongs here, or if any1 can help. my friend go into a car accident recently and because he is in college now, he cancelled his insurance. Thus, at the time when he was driving, there was no insurance to cover for the accident. I believe the other victim in the accident has decided to sue. Since my friend is a student and over 18... can there be limit on how much the other guy can sue? is there anything my friend can lighten the load? thx for any inputs...

Default Re: car accident... problems

I don't think being a student or not would matter at all

Where is he based?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

San Francisco, california

Does your friend have a clean record in the past? The only thing which may happen is the judge might be a little more "friendly" because your friend is a student
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

But then again the judge maybe very unfriendly just because he is a student though the judge maybe just like me and be just plain unsympathetic to anyone who drives without insurance.

In America your basically screwed when your stupid enough to drive without insurance. He can sue for everything, repair costs, hospital bills (if applicable), and punitive damages and you really can't do **** about it if the accident was deemed your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    In America your basically screwed when your stupid enough to drive without insurance. He can sue for everything, repair costs, hospital bills (if applicable), and punitive damages and you really can't do **** about it if the accident was deemed your fault.
    Exactly. That's why you're supposed to have insurance legally. But maybe Darthtanion know something helpful, since he is involved in law enforcement...

If insurance is required, well he is screwed. Also does CA have a cap on liability claims for car accidents? Other than that, alot depends what the judge and/or jury decides the plaintiff should get from the defendant. If you cant afford the liability insurance, then you really shouldnt be driving on public roadways. My brother got lucky in his accident when he hit someone while driving uninsured. WI has a law stating if you are not wearing your seatbelt and are injured in a crash, you cant sue for medical even if the other driver was at fault.

i have just acquired more information... Basically he hit a parked car, and a witness saw. so at max ... he can only sue for the damage rite??

It is illegal to drive in the States uninsured.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information