Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Default Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Found these three responses at another site:

"Have replaced the emissons control valve, the thermistor as suggested in code P1443. Problem still there. A possible clue, when gas tank is filled check engine light goes off. At about a half tank of gas check engine reappeares".

and .....

"check for blockages between the fuel tank, EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold. Also check for obstructions in the EVAP canister purge valve diaphragm and ports. A blocked fuel vapor hose or vacuum hose."

and.....

"I'm having same problem, but I tracked my down. Found a vacum line going to the evap canister had a hole in it from rubbing on the pully next to it. Also found all the vacuum lines in the circuit are dry rotted and turning to powder. If this is your problem, try replacing all the vacum lines".

So, the plot thickens.......bet I can guess what the dealer's mechanic will say....."it could be one of several things, I'll have to check them all.....and $300 and hours later, he finds the problem".....what say you (as Bill O'Rielly says)?

By the way, when the guy at AutoZone put the tester on it....he not only told me the code, he also cleared it for me and the light went out.....but a few starts later the same day, it was back on again and stays on. Go figure.

2. Default Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Yeah, the Autozone guy did the same for us. The code also came back and we disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it all cleared.

As for your problem, I really don't know. Your best bet (in my opinion) would to just replace the gas cap and go from there. If that doesn't work, your probably looking at going to the dreaded dealer to get it repaire. If you can replace the parts yourself, I would do that. Other than that, I would just take it to the dealer to play it safe.

I'll give the dealer a call next week and see what they have to say. The AutoZone guy reset it but the light came on again the same day.

Thanks for the great information Porsche. My gas cap also has the security ring on it also.

I was an assisstant manager at an Autozone and I cannot stress this enough:

DO NOT LET THOSE MORONS TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!! Most of them think they know much more about cars than they do, and if they hurt your car by touching it, they are not liable. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR, ESPECIALLY THE COMPUTER SYSTEM.

Please everyone, if the light goes on, go to a lisensed mechanic or the dealer. It is worth the money not to get your car wrecked. The dealer will only charge you an hourly rate, and you can set a limit as to how much to spend. Besides, they don't want your car in their shop for 8 hours, they could ge tmore jobs done and make mre money. Your safest bet is the dealer or a pro that specializes in emissions.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    DO NOT LET THOSE MORONS TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!! Most of them think they know much more about cars than they do, and if they hurt your car by touching it, they are not liable.
    They're like the Geek Squad of cars then?

I have not had the misfortune to let the Geek Squad touch my PC, but I have seen what untrained parts counter guys can do to a car. I watched as an employee used the wrong code scanning device on a Toyota MR2 and he completely shorted out the ECU and most of the engine sensors. The customer brought me a bil of $3000 for the repairs and demanded reimbursement. The general manager for the sector I was working in came down and basically told the guy to go **** in his hat and said that AutoZone would never pay for it and that he should consult an attorney.

As a general rule, if the person touching your car is not a mechanic, then do not be surprised when your car is ruined. I would never let anyone besides a licensed mechanic touch my car, and NOONE touches my PC. I can mess that up just fine all by myself.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Casecutter, I understand and I agree.....those guys do not know what they're doing most of the time. I'm no machanic or even close to being one, but could be doing that kind of work if I really tried I bet. The guy that checked my pickup said "the code checker says your problem is somewhere in the aux. emissions system". That doesn't tell me anything. I got busy this week and have not called the dealer yet....but that's my next stop....maybe tomorrow. But, I will let everyone know how this turns out. I appreciate the input from you guys. It's all about learning and I need all of the help I can get. Thanks a million.

Can anyone tell me how to replace the check engine light?

In Texas models after 1996 must have the check engine light must come on and go off to pass inspection. Mine has been on for so long it burned out. Now I need to fix the bulb and then try to fix why it was staying on in the first place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    I was an assisstant manager at an Autozone and I cannot stress this enough:

DO NOT LET THOSE MORONS TOUCH YOUR CAR!!!!! Most of them think they know much more about cars than they do, and if they hurt your car by touching it, they are not liable. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR, ESPECIALLY THE COMPUTER SYSTEM.

Please everyone, if the light goes on, go to a lisensed mechanic or the dealer. It is worth the money not to get your car wrecked. The dealer will only charge you an hourly rate, and you can set a limit as to how much to spend. Besides, they don't want your car in their shop for 8 hours, they could ge tmore jobs done and make mre money. Your safest bet is the dealer or a pro that specializes in emissions.

Amen Brother... :)
    I work at a Chrysler-Jeep Dealership here in Atlanta, and can tell you story after story of having to find and fix problems that should have been a minor fix at the start, but turned into a nightmare after the owner "Finally" brought the car to a dealer *usually towed in by then* :)
    99% of all check engine light problems can be correctly "Diagnosed" (and sometimes fixed) within the first hour of a Technician receiving the Work Order!
    reasons for this are.
    : knowledge of the product line.
    : correct and current reference materials.
    : latest tools and equipment for diagnosis and testing.
    in the long run it would be less expensive to have the problem found and fixed correctly the first time, than playing Trial&error with parts and mechanics :)

**I am not vouching for EVERY dealership.... some do suck** :)

For whats its worth, I am an ASE Master Tech with 25 years working on cars.
    AMD Opteron @ 3.0G (300x10)
    Abit AN8 NF4 Mobo
    XFX 7800GTX (490\1390)
    2GB CORSAIR XMS PC3200
    2x 160 gig WD (sata raid-0)
    NEC-3500a 16x DVD-RW
    Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink
    Antec Super LanBoy Case
    Antec 550w TruePowerII P/S
    ViewSonic 19" 8ms LCD Widescreen

Kruz, thanks for the great advice.

It's good to know we have professionals concerning this particular problem. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information