Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Question 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

A couple of weeks ago the "check engine" dash light suddenly came on while driving. I did not notice any difference in the way the vehicle performed.

My question is this for those of you that know about this situation: Will the check engine light cause any major damage if I don't have it checked out?

The vehicle in question is a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT pickup, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, with air conditioning and nearly 80,000 miles.

So far I have not noticed anything different in the way it performs.

Default Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Just about anything can make that light come on, from a loosened gas cap to a bad oxygen sensor.
    To be safe, have the codes read and find out what the specific problem is. Several of the local garages around here will hook up their code readers for free, hoping they can get the repair job.
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Smile Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Thanks again KG, I tried the gas cap deal first (read about that in the owners manual) but no help there......I guess I'll have to have a tester put on it then go from there.....most likely something of little consequence.....I hope!

4. Default Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Take it to autozone. They test codes for free. I've done that and it worked great. Most other companies charge $80 for a OBD II scan and code check. For that price, you literally can buy your own OBD II code checker!!!

Porscheguy......you do not know how happy you made me by giving me that information about AutoZone. I did not know they did that. Guess where I'll be tomorrow.

You're the man of the day for me partner. Thank you very kindly for taking the time to respond to my post!! And I do hope you see this. Thanks again.

6. Default Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Never a problem burnselk. Just here to help!

I went to AutoZone today and they did exactly as you said.....they were happy to put a code tester on it.....it can up with a P1443 for my 1996 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder, 5 speed.

Do you know how I can use this information? Is there a website that can tell me exactly what the problem is? The AutoZone guy said something about "auxillary emission....."

8. Default Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

I looked it up on some other site and it said that it was a gas cap error. I've had this happen. Just replace the gas cap, it clears the code after a few starts.

Thumbs up Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

That simple huh?.....that's amazing....and a good thing....at least my engine isn't about to die. I can certainly replace the gas cap! Thank you. I was hoping you'd be able to help me since you had done it before.

Did the site mention anything the problem (bad gas cap) would cause if I didn't replace the gas cap? Doubt it...just thought I'd ask.

By the way, when I start to reply to someone's post/comments, I'm given a choice of sending a "post" or a "quick reply".

What's the difference in a "post" and a "quick reply" and which should I use? Or does it matter? I suppose this is answered by this site but I just now thought about it. Thought I'd ask you.

10. Default Re: 1996 Ford Ranger Check Engine Light On

Well I looked into it more. Some sites say that the P1443 code deals with some other stuff. One guy said that you need to replace the emissons control valve and thermistor and it solved the problem. Another guy said that the gas cap would be the first thing to replace. I have not looked around a Ranger lately. My Sable's gas cap was pretty easy to change. It had a little ring that attached the cap to the cap and went all the way around the cap as one piece with no openings so you could easily open it up to get it off the cap. I put the cap and ring in some hot water and it easily popped off. I then put it on the new cap and reinstalled it. Maybe took 10 minutes tops.

You might try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. If it is just a one time error, the check engine light will not show up again. You could also call the dealer and ask for a service tech to help withe the strange error code. You're probably going to be fine, unless your in California, and they are sooo picky about emissions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information