Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of Car do you drive?

A japan spec version of the skyline nissan engine is twin turbo, but i still think there is a 300ish hp NA skyline engine... hmmm.

I still think its not steroids if a manufacturer designs an engine from the ground up to have twin turbos, its not like they build a motor and say "oops this doesn't have enough power, lets add some turbos..." nope, turbo motors are built with specific air intake and compression requirements, then the block has to be strong enough to maintain that much power, and the head should be in the right place to quickly move pressurized air into the cylinder... its a big complicated process to building ANY engine, the real trick manufacturers deal with that we don't is price of repair and warranties. Remember, they're in the business, we just race 'em.

[EDIT]

me too... ferrari... hmmm...

and the only reason i may choose a 325Hp 5.7L SS motor over a 320Hp VR4 Motor is weight, but then again if im racing turns, the turbo lag is gonna help me lose grip in the middle of accelerating corners, not good... so it depends, can i handle the turbo lag with less weight in precise cornering, or can i deal with more all-the-time power in a corner if im good at power-sliding...

ya that is true. So what explains a rycer and his little honda? They rebuild the engine. But once again I know that stock turbo's and supers usually suck. Usually the engine is pretty powerful. And the turbo and super is just there for a little more boost.

[EDIT]

It seems like your saying the camaro is heavier. THe 300GT weighs as much as a truck! It runs a little slower then a Z28. But ya in a motor trend article that I have of the Camaro SS vs the Mustang Cobra. It says somethign about the LS1 having alot of low end tourque that gives you the ability to really power out of corners. I've never driven a turbo (haven't driven many cars lol) and therefore have never expierienced turbo lag but do know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
    But once again I know that stock turbo's and supers usually suck. Usually the engine is pretty powerful. And the turbo and super is just there for a little more boost.
    Not always. 911T push 16psi, and the stock RX-7 turbos push 12psi, and the Kompressor in a MBZ pushes 3-5psi depending on the model, and the super in a Lightning pushes 9psi. It all depends on what Turbo or Super is in the car, who makes it, and how big it is. Yes, manufacturers like to use less boost because it keeps an engine running smoother, longer, but not always. Although ive never seen a stock car with 30psi, like some of those 10sec hondas.

A Rycer rebuilds his honda so that he can use the small weight of the car he bought, but the large Hp of the engine he's making. The engine thats in the car cant handle the power he wants, to scoot that little weight into the quarter at 9sec. Its not exactly a good idea, but i understand. It's the age old difference between buying a cool car in one lump or making payments (performance one step at a time)...

[EDIT]

I was talking about engine weight. An SS 350 is alot heavier than a VR4 TT motor, assuming they are in the exact same car with the exact same suspension, there is still a decision to the engine type, becasue it determines handling characteristics...

ya......but regardless of how powerful stock turbo's are......

I don't like them not even the sound I can't stand the sound of pressure being given off out of the wastegate. Some of my rycer friends claim that is music to there ears. what?!!? Anyway I like raw engine HP. Which is why I am so quick to use the word steroid. Kind of like a steroid that a person uses to work out. He didn't do that all him/her self.The steroid assisted in it. And that's exactly what I am talking about with cars.

Another major role when it coems to cars is sound. Which is why I like a big beefy engine. Did you ever listen to those sounds that I posted higher in this thread? Those are the nicest sounds a car could give off.

tons of fun

Ya the front of the old mustangs are pretty cool (I don't like any other mustang at all!) but just those pony car mustangs. I am in love with the grill. Right next to the camaro the mustang probably has to be my favorite 60's american car. (no other country impressed me)

One of my best friends used to own a beat up old 65. Badass car as it tended to 360 when you hit the brake too hard...
    ReSpAwN, the arguments over, but i still don't agree with your definition of "steroid" but other than that....
    BTW... if anyone hasn't noticed...

My car is an '86 Porsche 944
    2.5L 4 Cylinder 8v w/147Hp

5-Speed
    Chirps 2nd, sometimes 3rd

Tops out at 138mph
    3rd ends at 94mph

1/4mile in 14.9

oh yeah, paid $3000US, and i can still get looks from all the ladies

I drive an '88 Jeep cherokee laredo with over 200k miles. The vomit yellow color is accented by cheap plastic molding and rust spots. The bumpers are metallic and also have started to rust. It is damn near impossible to see out the back window as bubbles have formed in the tint job. It has been broken into 5 times while sitting in front of my house resulting in the lose of 2 CD players, 5 windows and some interior damage. There is a burned out hole in the driver's seat. The seat do not so much recline as the whole chair rocks together. On an onramp I think I can outrun it. THe speedometer goes to 85. Last month the power steering and engine cooling system simultaneously died from a broken belt, not a fun drive to the mechanic's. Any looks I get from the ladies are for sympathy or disgust.

Beats the hell out of walking :D
    -Harbinger
    Wannabe l33t overclocker

lol ever heard the song "ode to my car" from adam sandler?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger
    I drive an '88 Jeep cherokee laredo with over 200k miles. The vomit yellow color is accented by cheap plastic molding and rust spots. The bumpers are metallic and also have started to rust. It is damn near impossible to see out the back window as bubbles have formed in the tint job. It has been broken into 5 times while sitting in front of my house resulting in the lose of 2 CD players, 5 windows and some interior damage. There is a burned out hole in the driver's seat. The seat do not so much recline as the whole chair rocks together. On an onramp I think I can outrun it. THe speedometer goes to 85. Last month the power steering and engine cooling system simultaneously died from a broken belt, not a fun drive to the mechanic's. Any looks I get from the ladies are for sympathy or disgust.

Beats the hell out of walking :D
    Atleast you dont have fake wood exterior paneling...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information