Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neon Lights

Is it true they should be turned off after 3 or so hours use to avoid them burning out?

First time I've heard that one. :?:

Someone told me this yesterday, I tend to believe them. Looks like I'll have to mount the switch to the front of the case... :)

neon lights last for a very long time - the electricity just excites the 'neon' gas that's inside the tube to create light. It doesn't burn the gas or use a filament like regular bulbs do.
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Where do you want to go today?</font><br><font face="Arial" size="2">Where ever the beer is please.</font>

Somebody told me this when the nneons first came out. Its a dirty rotten lie. the early neons only had to be turned off after extended use cause they got hot. thats the only reasonn.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut Zer0
    Somebody told me this when the nneons first came out. Its a dirty rotten lie. the early neons only had to be turned off after extended use cause they got hot. thats the only reasonn.
    was I wrong :?:
    maybe I'm thinking of industrial ones that companies use, cause they leave those things on for 12 hours at a time, everyday and rarely need to replace them.

I've never looked into the ones people use in their cases ;)
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Where do you want to go today?</font><br><font face="Arial" size="2">Where ever the beer is please.</font>

I have heard something like that dealing with Lava lamps before HEHE never plain neon lights

ever think about fluorescent tubes? yea they ARE neon lights... Of course only green (i think) tubes actually USE the element 'neon'

Neon lights dont heat up when in use. the instructions with my neons was not to have them on for days at a time

I know that neons are used because they don't put out much heat or nosie, but the other day I was thinking car headlights are 12v they are halogen.
    Is there any reason why i could not use a halogen? heat is no problem because i only have a celeron 466 which can't be overclocked, and a stack of cooling (too much for my system).
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information