Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spray Painting a monitor

"You can achieve in your life anything that you really set your mind to! That is not to say that things will always be easy, but you can achieve whatever you really desire to attain."

Jeff Gordon, from his fan club Q&A:

hehe after reading this post it gave me the idea to paint my moniter... I experimented on my older 15 inch one and it worked pretty good. I removed the front part that you see the screen from, and the rest of the case. it was pretty easy to take off but there were alot of screws. And be sure you're really careful when painting it, because if you put too much on and it drips it looks like crap. Mine dripped in some places and i tried wiping it off with a tissue and repainting it... didn't look too great :(

anyhoo I think it might take a couple days to dry because it's on plastic.

good luck!

Just a little info for people who want to paint there monitor - (I also learned after a few misguided attempts)

For painting on plastic -
    • First sand lightly to give the paint a better sticking surface

Paint in 4-5 light coats, with a final coat of acrylic clear/flat for the desired look

NEVER wipe or try to fix drips until the pain is dry, to fix sand lighly until the drip disappears. If you have to sand to the base, do so, you are going to repaint it anyway

Hope that helps. I learned the hardway and had to resand and repaint when I tried this a few years ago.

Happy modding,
    Chez :cheers:

Yeah I just learned the hard way... lucky it was on my crappy moniter. I didn't sand it beforehand, and did one coat which looks like crap lol. I think I'll go back and do another coat or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezman29
    Just a little info for people who want to paint there monitor - (I also learned after a few misguided attempts)

For painting on plastic -
    • First sand lightly to give the paint a better sticking surface

Paint in 4-5 light coats, with a final coat of acrylic clear/flat for the desired look

NEVER wipe or try to fix drips until the pain is dry, to fix sand lighly until the drip disappears. If you have to sand to the base, do so, you are going to repaint it anyway

Hope that helps. I learned the hardway and had to resand and repaint when I tried this a few years ago.

Happy modding,
    Chez :cheers:
    For the final coat of acrylic stuff... what would I use to make the moniter finished, but not shiny? I don't want to scratch off all the spray paint so I need to use a finish on it but I would to have it dull instead of glossy-ish. What would you reccommend?

You can use Acrylic FLAT clear coat.

Chez

What do you perfer? By the way, thanks ;)

some spray flat or semiflat polyurithane would provide a great finish, and durable too, also when u sand, rub ur case down with alcohol (70% isoprop.) to get rid of whatever oils u might have left from fingers and what-not:wave:
    2.4 p4c @3.06 1020mhz fsb
    ASUS P4C800Delux
    CORSAIR ddr500 XMS (3-4-4-8)
    maxtor 120gb w/8meg cache (raid0)
    2x WD Raptors (Raid0)
    2x120Gb Maxtor's
    Ti4200 363/667 mhz
    Water-cooled Koolance case

Default Re: Spray Painting a monitor

If you wore rubber gloves, would you still be in a great danger of being shocked?

Default Re: Spray Painting a monitor

Probably. Just depends on the quality/thickness etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information