Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: any way to rig a power button?

I'm bored today, I work at the College here and my hours are cut back for the summer, so I was going to build a comp.. found a P2-233, some other bits, etc... only problem is, I can't seem to find a case.. was wondering if its possible to rig a power button with little/no materials...
    however, I also don't know exactly how they work.. does the circuit need to be completed the whole time its turned on, or does it just need to be completed to turn it on/off?
    if its the first, I was considering a jumper.. if its the latter, just completing it with a screwdriver or something..
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

on atx mobos, it's basically two pins and the circuit just needs to be connected once to power on the system, it doesn't need to stay connected

I've 'jump-started' and mobo with a screw driver before ;)

you can make your own power button fairly easily...all you need is two wires (one for each pin) and some kind of switch that will quickly connect/disconnect from the circuit...it's only takes a fraction of a second for competed circuit to power on the computer
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

sweet, now I have something to do today.. heh
    thanks
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

Get a "momentary on" push button switch from ya local electronic parts store if ya don't want to use a screwdriver.

The combination screwdriver-motherboard requires a steady hand. Don't try it after a heavy night of drinking (personall experience)
    "Make FPS, not war"

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu
    The combination screwdriver-motherboard requires a steady hand. Don't try it after a heavy night of drinking (personall experience)
    :rofl: :laugh:

Also that same switch will work with the reset and I have 2 just awaitin' their next use.

zaltek, what drivers or what did you do to get that RAId thing to work???????i tried putting 2 hdds on raid and a normal 1 but couldn't cause the drivers weren't working!!!!!.i had 1 more hdd i wanted to add but couldn't cause RAId wasn't working.
    My rig:
    amd athlon xp 2500+ barton core @2.16GHZ (180mhz 12x)
    cooler master x-dream(with cooler master high performance thermal compound)
    mobo: asus a7n8x deluxe
    512mb of ddr pc-3200
    radeon 9500 pro
    pctv tuner card
    antec 5.1 speakers
    antec case with 5 80mm fans
    430 watts psu
    15" monitor @ 1024*768 32bit 70hz
    48x cd-rom, 52x24x52x cdrw
    2x 160gbs 7200 rpm 8mb buffer maxtor hdd
    win xp pro with sp1a
    all drivers updated

"They say that when you run a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices... But that's nothing - When you run it forwards it installs Windows"

actually, the screwdriver trick worked great... used one with a phillips head, made perfect contact between the two pins, and not a problem

I used the Promise FastTrak software that came with my RAID controller (Gigabyte GA-7VAXP motherboard w/integ Promise PDC20276 controller), but it has to be setup/built properly in the RAID BIOS before you even need to get that far
    -----

/Z

Thread Information