Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best "Dremel" like tool

What do you guys consider the best Dremel like tool? Any high speed rotary tool used to mod your case.
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Sorry but a drill (both hand and power), jigsaw and hand files are the only tools that I use.

Unless you are going to go into the case modding business or have other uses for your dremel that are going to keep it running for extended periods of time then pretty much any brand will do the job. Look for one with multiple speed control (nearly all have that option) and if you can find one with an adjustible and removeable base plate ( a true minirouter) you will have even more control. A 1/8" collet is the standard bit diameter (shank size) but there are options for 3/32" bits as well on some models. Watch what bits you buy for the dremel. Make sure that they are for metal and not wood! Best bits for carving the case would prolly be the spiral ones (titainium). I have heard of people using cutting wheels for case modding but in my experience they are extremely hard to control and have a nasty habit of shattering if you can't travel in a perfectly straight line. For fine finishing use either a grindstone type bit or the sanding drums. I have yet to sucessfully cut plastic (plexi) with a dremel tool as they operate at far too high of rpm to cut without melting.
    Having said all that ...when I modded my own case I used a jigsaw for the cutting and the dremel for sanding off the remaining burrs. You could prolly save your money and do the sanding by hand or with a fine file.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

If you plan to use it alot make sure you don't get a cordless one, (it's really annoying when the battery goes flat half way through cutting a fan hole).
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

i think we saw how effective the tinsnips were :rofl:
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

I still use tinsnips due to rare use of dremel or jigsaw if I got one which would be a waste of money. :tears: Just don't try using them on thicker metals. :hammer:

I use one almost everyday. My current one is a mastercraft(canadian tire) which is a black n decker wizard variable, just a different colour. It was $40, at 50% off. Sears(craftsman) does that too(tool sale) but they overprice to begin with. The wizard ones have been the best for lasting. I didnt like the riobi, craftsman,or dremel. They wore out quick. I believe pamida in the u.s.a has clone mastercraft stuff.
    Use the fiberglass cutting wheels, they dont break like the candy ones. Good for autobody work and cutting anything. Rivets. lugnuts. grade12 bolts. hardened metal. springsteel. ski/snowboard edges.
    Dont try it on magnesium, it may catch on fire!
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

i am going to be getting a dremel in the next week (so i can do a plastic crate mod for a seti machine, and also a few other mods i've had in mind for my main case), muchly stoked :D

oh and maximus7001, you might want to have a look at the products from this manufacturer:

http://www.foredom.com/

don't bother asking me anything about them, i just saw it in a 'case modding tool guide' :)

just an update on my previous post...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information