Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to cut a fan hole in a Dell 8200 case, help!?

Sry, I was busy with the start of school :cry: . Nah, if I went through and bought a new case, it'd be holding a new comp. I've taken this on as a side project to improve my modding skills :D :woot: . THe 60mm fans at the back of the drive bays will pull air over the drives, and the 92mm below will push air under them, so cooling will be good. Also, 60mm fans take in about 3 times as much air as a 40mm, I looked at the specs. Also, I wanna do this so my comp is not so insanely loud. You ahvent heard this, its easily at 70dB. The whole deal is I wanna get the parts to live long, and I want to o/c the hell out of my vid card. Also, I wanna be able to run my comp without having the case wide open. I can imagine that all that dust doesnt do anything good for it. Anyways, thx for the reply, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

ok i just moved into my new house, i figured id ask how ur mod is goin...ok well drop some details.
    2.4 p4c @3.06 1020mhz fsb
    ASUS P4C800Delux
    CORSAIR ddr500 XMS (3-4-4-8)
    maxtor 120gb w/8meg cache (raid0)
    2x WD Raptors (Raid0)
    2x120Gb Maxtor's
    Ti4200 363/667 mhz
    Water-cooled Koolance case

Well, not really, but here's how it went. I only ended up using the 80mm on the side and and a 60mm in the drive bay. I kept the original 92mm in the back, as it was quieter than the Thermaltake 92mm I got. All the fans I ordered are Thermal take, btw, and I dont need the rest (1 92mm, 1 60mm) or the HSF (identical to a vantec aeroflow), so Xoxide is gonna get a big package back, and I'm gonna get some cash back :D . Also, before I start, holy crap is this thing louder. I didnt think 30dB (80mm fan) would be that bad, but iuno, maybe you guys can give me some tips on sound proofing these fans a little better? However, the air flow in the case is astonishing now. After I buy some artic alumina, I'm going to reply the thermal grease on my Ti4200 and o/c the hell out of it. Well, as far as modding went, I suspended the intake 60mm behind the 3.5" drive bay (using twisty ties, plz, I know its ghetto the hole thing is, but it works), it works well. I dont know how it can vibrate cause of the suspension buy ah well, I'll see about sound proofing. It took me about 3 hours to get a hole into the side of that case for the 80 mm. I ended up taking the front end (the part with the drives) off by ripping some of the metal off that was covering the screw I couldnt get to. I accidently left the firewire and front USB ports in, and the start button and swtichboard there, so I'm so lucky the vibrations from the jigsaw didnt screw that up. I guess computers are hardier than I thought. Like I said, I took the front part off after I took everything out of the comp, and then I mapped out where the fan would be and made the marks, then I drilled a hole trough the plastic and metal (which, by the way, is steel :scream: ). The I stuck in the jigsaw, and cut triangle pieces so it looked like a pie. THen I bent back the metal piece and but them with metal shears, and the plastic ones I ripped out with pliers. Finally, the left over metal parts I bent back and pushed into the case wall with pliers. THe I put the fan on the outside, and screwed it in using metal screws, and electric taped the wire and drilled a hole in it so it fits back into the case. It doesnt look that bad for what I went through, but the inside of the case looks like crap. Ah well, air flow is unreal now. However, unless it a really hot summer day, I might leave the 80mm un plugged. Also, I came up with the best HSF solution yet, works better than anything on teh market. I took off the green part of the wind tunnel so that the 60mm blows through the fins of that passive aluminum heat sink and to the 92mm in the back (that's on exhaust). I played UT2003 for an hour and it was COLD to the touch. Works like a charm, it used to get really hot before. Anyways, I'm going to try to make this a little quieter and try to get the wires in the right places. But I did enough for today :thumb:. Right now I intake air is 58CFM and out, I estimate is about 50CFM, good balance compared to the 0 in 50CFM out I used to have. Lemme know waht you think, I'm going to try to get pics as soon as I can. : peace2: Mista K6

P.S. Holy crap I cant believe I took everythign apart, put it back together, and even with some stuff taking all of that vibration, and everything still works, wow, am I proud of myself :D . Oh yah, minor detail, I did put the hinge back together wrong, but I'll fix it tomorrow, I need sleep now :p .
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Oh yah, zerokool, a 120mm wont fit, the 92mm will tho.
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

sounds like your doing good! how about that fan in the front of the case??(blue circle)?? did u put one there? or just in the drive bays, also sounds like u might want to get some speed controls to turn the fans down with, might help with noise. how about that cpu? howd u atach that fan? zip ties to the aluminum fins? dont matter aslong as its cooler...u got a p4 right? cuz my p3 is never no where near hot to the touch...im probably lacking close to a ghz in speed though compared to you. hey, how hard is it to take everything apart? i was thinking of putting a blowhole in and upgrading that fan on the green tube thing, now i got server2003 on here its not gona be a gamer just a raid box for storage. ok well i got a WHOLE GRIP of probs with my buddy, he had swat raid our pad, there after his danks if u get the point, be back in a few days (hey got any pics of ur moded case???)
    check out the pic on this link
    -->http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=13214
    2.4 p4c @3.06 1020mhz fsb
    ASUS P4C800Delux
    CORSAIR ddr500 XMS (3-4-4-8)
    maxtor 120gb w/8meg cache (raid0)
    2x WD Raptors (Raid0)
    2x120Gb Maxtor's
    Ti4200 363/667 mhz
    Water-cooled Koolance case

Ok, according to the circles, I put one 60mm in the drive bay area (pink) which blows directly through the fins of that passive aluminum heatsink. Where the blue circle is, I put in an 80mm (the 90mm was too loud). Both are on intake. As for the windtunnel, I left the original 90mm fan because it was nice and quiet, but I took off the green portion and justl eft the fan and the bracket that connects it to the wall. So, it goes 60mm (intake)->Through the fins->90mm (Exhaust). Perfect cooling soultion, I might use the same set up on my new comp when I get it, it beats the hell out of normal CPU HSF set ups that I've seen. That 60mm fan I attached with zip ties (it works well, no vibrations) and the 80 mm is secured through the plastic into the steel part of teh case with bolts. Modding the case is incredibly tough as the plastic is really thick and the metal is steel, not aluminum (cutting through it was nuts). Instead of a blow hole, I'd use my system. However, I did take the top plastic part off my case, so air does blow through. I got the case closed today, so it works perfectly. I cant wait to get some adhesive and o/c the hell outta my Ti4200. Too bad I cant o/c my CPU :( . Ah well, I'm def going to look into those fan controllers, as this is quite loud at the moment (I dont really need them to be on 5000 RPM, ya know?), and I can turn everything down anyways now that winter is coming. Anyways, I'll keep posting on updates. Anybody have any ideas on sound proofing? Like, maybe some rubber around the fans or something? Help! Thx alot tho, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information