Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to cut a fan hole in a Dell 8200 case, help!?

Ok, I guess this belongs here more than it does in the cooling thread. I have Dell 8200 case which has cooling that, essentially, sucks so bad it's pitiful. One step I'm taking towards it is installing an 80mm (92mm if I can fit it) intake fan on the left side of the case (looking at the front of it) right below the HDD's. That way incoming air will be sucked back, cooling off my Maxtor, the faster and I'm assuming hotter HDD, and reaching my Vid card also. The problem: Dell cases open on a hinge, so I cannot disconnect the side panel to drill the hole in. Bigger problem: The case is made of 1mm aluminum surrounded by 1mm plastic. S*** hits the fan: I cant put any jarring/vibration motion (i.e. drilling) on the case cause it'll screw up my HDD's and w/e else is sensitive to shock. So, how the hell do I go about this!? :?: And experience with like, a cutter that you rotate by hand or something? I guess I could always use a knife on the plastic, and a really good cutter on the aluminum, but is there any easy way? Thanx for any info, share the wealth . Thx, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Take everything out of the case, then u have no concern. I kno wits not the quickest way, but it may be the safest way. Last thing u want to do is half ass it and get metal shavings it your system, that would be quite unfortunate.

I would have to agree. Get a holesaw of a dremel. Take everything out of the case (make sure you have loads of anti static bags) Close the case and start drilling away. The thing with a knife is you might find it hard to cut a prefect circle. Good Luck :)

Good news! I spent an hour or so looking through my case and all around. The metal plate has a couple of screws where it connects to the rest of the case, so it isnt one piece like I thought, it'll still be a pain to disassemble that whole side, but it beats the hell out of taking everything out of the case. So, I can just remove my two HDD's, DVD ROM, CD-RW, and floppy, and it should be ok. I should only need anti-static bags for the HDD's tho, right? And I have a drill, so I'm going to True Value tomorrow to get an attachment for that. Thx for the replies, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

try to see if u can fit in a 120mm fan, they relly push air around. i got a dell aswell tell me if ur case has a hinge like this one. i havent cared about it or cooling till i burned out my vid card, props to you for cooling it...dont ask why i have round cables in a case with NO FAN, not even on the cpu, well its a fan, but it moves so little air, its basicly useless.
    2.4 p4c @3.06 1020mhz fsb
    ASUS P4C800Delux
    CORSAIR ddr500 XMS (3-4-4-8)
    maxtor 120gb w/8meg cache (raid0)
    2x WD Raptors (Raid0)
    2x120Gb Maxtor's
    Ti4200 363/667 mhz
    Water-cooled Koolance case

Ok, that is the exact case I have. So, for reference, I'm going to use the same pic. Ok, Stock cooling on the Dell is no air in, close to nothing out, with the exception of the little air that sneaks in pase the heat sink and into the wind tunnel. Circled in red (well, semi-circle) is where the wind tunnel duct is., with on 92mm fan against the screen (green circle). So far I have installed a cyclone blower two PCI slots below my vid card, with teh one in between just being open as a breathing (almost intake) hole). My plan is to put on a good CPU heat sink (something really quiet, like a Zalman) and take out the duct assembly. Then, against the screen (green) install an 80mm fan in the top part, and a 60 mm in the bottom (or vice versa, w/e fits), securing them to the screen w/ wire, and having them both on exhaust. Then, in the back of the lower external 3.5" drive bay (circled pink, about 40 mm tall, I was surprised) I'm going to install two 60 intake fans side by side. Finally, in the lower corner (blue) I'm going to install the biggest fan I can fit in there as an intake. I'm also going to get some round cables to improve air flow. Also, this is going to be a quiet case, after what I've went through for noise with this pos. None of the fans make more than 25db of noise at full speed. Quiet indeed :thumb:. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Now that plain sux's. :cry:

Now listen children this is one of the many faults of "name" brand PC's.

:cry:

<---was young and foolish. Ah well, I'm trying to make the best out of it. How does that plan sound? Thx for the reply, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

well, shiot nigga, that plan sounds good... only 2 Q's...actualy 3.., ok 1, why put a couple 40mm's inside the drive bays? tryin to cool the drives off?, 2 how are u gona deal with the front bottom, thats the same spot i got my usb, and audio out jacks, maybe urs is different. ok 3rd...WHY? i could understand a 60mm below the duct and replacing the stock fan, but why? my pc runs just fine the way it is, all overloaded and such, and the thing is its purely silent, onlything i here is the hdd's, and the cd-rom when it whirrs up to burn or what-not.. but if u want it cool, i was lookin at my case, and i think u got a great idea, best u can do.. oh yea, afterthought...did u think about just getting a nerw case and putting the dell 'guts' inside a new case?? i did that with one just like this so i can put like 10 hdd's in it, it actualy worked out well, all the parts worked outside the case . ok well, g/l
    2.4 p4c @3.06 1020mhz fsb
    ASUS P4C800Delux
    CORSAIR ddr500 XMS (3-4-4-8)
    maxtor 120gb w/8meg cache (raid0)
    2x WD Raptors (Raid0)
    2x120Gb Maxtor's
    Ti4200 363/667 mhz
    Water-cooled Koolance case

Mmmmmm....10 HDD's ........:bounce: :D

Mista K6 : Let us know how it goes....Keep us updated ! :cheers:
    SPAM Special Ops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast