Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VU meter for sound help please

I was wondering, is it possible to have a set of maybe 8 to 12 LED's on either side of the fron of a case with each set hooked up to the speakers or soundcards (eg left side set to left channel) so that each set works like a VU meter for any sound coming from your speakers?

If so, could someone tell me how to do it please, better still a schematic.

Thankyou
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU 2 x Kingston Hyper 2 GB Kit memory 1066MHz MSI P35 Platinum Combo Mobo Razer Barracuda AC-1 Digital Audio Card XFX PCIe 8800GTX xXx Video card Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU Samsung 320GB IDE HD for OS WD 250GB SataII HD 2 x WD 500GB SATAII HD Compro T750 HDTV Dual Tuner PCI Card Thermaltake Bigwater 745 water cooling Samsung 226BW 22" monitor Samsung Syncmaster 913 19" monitor Silverstone , Thermaltake Armour+ Case

I guessing its kinda like the thing you get in most stereos? I remember I had quite a old one like that. I'm not sure how you would go about it though. I guess if you got desparate you could always try and find a old hifi that has one of those meters and pull it to bits

This looks like an interesting mod, was going to attempt myself a while ago. I think Dick Smith might have some kits that you can build. I'll check it out for you.

EDIT: I checked Dick Smith and couldn't find the kit. I'll try Jay Car, I think they have a larger range of kits

Seems that Dick Smith stopped making them at the end of 2000.
    And I couldn't find anything on JayCar.

I ran a search on Google and came up with this store in Queensland selling a VU kit for $25.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~auselec/audio.htm

EXCLUSIVE LED VU METER

Cat No. 205370 Grade: Simple Price: $25.00
    Designing your own audio system or just updating older style equipment that uses an analogue
    V/U meter? This unit offers the advantage of fast response and peak hold display. Comes with
    PCB, red, yellow and green. LED's plus all necessary components and hardware.

i found this mod a while ago... thought it might be of some use to you.

:cheers:

The Evolved One

Thanks for the help, looks like it is a good possibility :)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU 2 x Kingston Hyper 2 GB Kit memory 1066MHz MSI P35 Platinum Combo Mobo Razer Barracuda AC-1 Digital Audio Card XFX PCIe 8800GTX xXx Video card Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU Samsung 320GB IDE HD for OS WD 250GB SataII HD 2 x WD 500GB SATAII HD Compro T750 HDTV Dual Tuner PCI Card Thermaltake Bigwater 745 water cooling Samsung 226BW 22" monitor Samsung Syncmaster 913 19" monitor Silverstone , Thermaltake Armour+ Case

Try K 2637 or K 1334 from Dick Smith

Bought the kit myself today (K 2637), just finished building, and I'm telling ya, so far it looks pretty sweet. Got it going stereo. Kit cost $13 for each one, two needed for stereo mode.
    I'll get pics when I place in a drive cover.

How did you connect it to the soundcard or speakers though?

I had a double adaptor for the output for the soundcard, so basically I can plug two headphones into the one socket. And as for the VU meter itself I used a 3.5mm male stereo plug.

So the VU unit has a 3.5mm male connector coming from it going to the back of the computer to the double adaptor for the sound card.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information