Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: soft pulsing case light?

I want to get some kind of case lighting (preferably purple in color) which will gently pulse in a 'breathing' fashion (much like the power button LED on an apple monitor in standby mode). I'm not too picky on anything else... I just have that specific effect in mind. If anyone could even so much as point me in a direction to explore, I would be most grateful.
    Thanks.

I don't know if anyone makes "pulsing" light, but you can get a cold cathode that is sound activated, and flicker when there is a loud enough vibration.:cheers:
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Well, I had thought of perhaps getting one of those sound-activated ones, and somehow modify the controller to completely ignore sound, and just pulse the light instead. Not sure if that's even possible, though.

To accomplish this pulsing effect, the light would need to slowly dim (not all the way off), then 'un-dim' at the same rate. Each cycle of this should take maybe around 3-4 seconds (very slow, relative to anything else I've seen case lighting do so far).

I dont know of anything like you are describing... But what are you planning on doing with this light?:cheers:
    X-Dreamer Case w/ Window
    Enermax 660w PSU
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.2Ghz
    Asus K8V Deluxe
    Corsair XMS 256x2 MB DDR500
    1xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
    4x300GB WD 5400 RPM 8mb
    Ati Radeon 9800XT (440/780)
    Pioneer 8x DVD-RW
    Samsung 173v 17' LCD
    SB Audigy 2
    Windows XP Pro

Light my case, of course. =)
    I think it might be an interesting effect -- something more interesting than an always-on light, but less spastic than all the digital on/off blinking that seems so common.

sounds like the beginings of a sweet mod, but i don't know of anything like your describing :shrug:

although it probably wouldn't be too hard to rig up something yourself that might work :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I don't know alot about lighting, but wouldnt you need just a really slow resistor? Look up how car turn signals (or "blinkers" if you will) work, then see if you can find a simple method of attaching a resistor. Sorry I cant help more, thats all I really know :shrug: . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Well, to do it with resistors I'd need to rig up something that would vary a potentiometer -- can't really think of a good way to do that. With the proper capacitance I might be able to achieve the effect I'm looking for, but I'd also need something that pulses on/off slow enough (everything I've seen so far is way too fast). I was kinda hoping there would be something already out there that would cover at least most of the work in making this look the way I want it to, but it doesn't sound like there is.

Thread Information