Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Neon string lights for autos be used in P.C.?

Default Neon string lights for autos be used in P.C.?

I have a few floresent neon string lights that were made to put in the interior of automobiles (12volt DC). I've seen the same thing for computers except instead of a cigarette lighter adapter they have an adapter to plug into an outlet on the PSU. I was wondering if I could cut the Cigarette lighter end off of these and put a new end on it for a PC PSU to make them work on a computer?

Kinda like this stuff;
    http://www.provantage.com/buy-7cbtg0...8-shopping.htm

Default Re: Neon string lights for autos be used in P.C.?

Before I did that, I'd find out what the wattage draw on your automotive lights was, you don't want to overload your PSU.
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kgburns
    Before I did that, I'd find out what the wattage draw on your automotive lights was, you don't want to overload your PSU.

It doesn't say on the box or manual. I'd think a 3 ft. string wouldn't take more than about 3 watts considering its florecent. Right?

I'd probably be best off cuuting the wire on the lights past the little back converter box which I beleive changes the voltage or something and running a PSU outlet supply straight to the string of lights.

UPDATE: I guess I need the little black converter thing. It doesn't work without it.
    Do you know another way to tell what the power draw is on one string of lights? Don't you think a 450watt PSU should be able to handle this, since I only have 1 harddrive and a video card that doesn't draw any power from any extra outlet except the AGP port on the system I'm considering adding a string of these lights to.

Just noticed it says on the box warning to keep away from computers as it can cuase interference. I wonder how? I guess that might pass on this idea.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 12-19-2004 at 12:27 AM.

How do you have those lights in the first place? Please tell me they aren't in your car... :)
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Yeah all you have to do is hook it up to the red (power) and the black (ground) and it should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    Yeah all you have to do is hook it up to the red (power) and the black (ground) and it should work fine.

Joe89, I bought a bunch of that stuff at a store last summer when they clearanced everything out. I used some of the stuff on a car (my daughters) but cut the lighter ends off of everthing and attached them to individual lighted low profile toggle switches for for easy access. With the underglow and the different types neon in the inside its looks nice but is hidden when turned off. I just bought extra stuff incase something burns out, but so far its all been good and shes really likes the lights. I overbought on the neon strings and black lighting with the idea that maybe some of that stuff could be used on a computer someday. Now just happens to be the time over a half a year later.

amd_man2003, Yellow and black work fine. In the instructions to the lights it has a red CAUTION box with several things mentioned, one being DO NOT USE THE NEON LIGHT NEAR COMPUTERS OR REMOTE CONTROL DEVICES. IT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE OPERATION OF THESE TYPE OF DEVICES. Thats a little discouraging:(. They seem to look identical to case modding stuff but maybe it draws more power than it should as the guy above had hinted.

Does the manufacturer have a e-mail address or telephone number you could reach them at? Ask them what they mean by the warning, and if there are any ways to circumvent the problem. Good luck
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

They're talking about RFI and there's no cheap way to eliminate it
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Thread Information