Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: modding tools

Default modding tools

Im going to window my POS gateway door bc i got some lights for cheap and im bored during the summer. i dont have a dremel and dont think i need one. cant i just buy a metal cutting roatary bit and put it in a drill? will it spin fast enough? anyone have any expreience with this? i need o cut 1mm steel and 3mm plastic (the plastic is still a maybe) oh yea im still not sure what ill use for window material maybe plexiglass but i was maybe ghetto rigging a clear drum head. also red CCFL are pink arent the :( sadly thats what ppl have said to me. i read somewhere using stage light gels to cover them to make them redder but it looked like it dimmed them alot. i was thinking about using red saran wrap or maybe painting them red?

lastly this is what i got from xoxide

Fan

red CCFL

bc i didnt think it came with one

now first off will the UV actually work? how does it work/what do you need to make it work?

note this is just my experiment with lighting so i hope it doesnt turn out purple.

Default Re: modding tools

Why don't you just use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanworlds
    Im going to window my POS gateway door bc i got some lights for cheap and im bored during the summer. i dont have a dremel and dont think i need one. cant i just buy a metal cutting roatary bit and put it in a drill? will it spin fast enough?
    That depends. How fast does the drill spin? You'll want a variable speed setting anyway, though I suppose you could live without it. The other problem is how big the drill is. I can mod my case in pretty much any way I want, but if I used one of my drills it would get in the way of cutting.

Anyway, I'd suggest you go here because there are some very experienced modders (one in particular) that will be able to help you out with this stuff more than the people at this site can, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    Why don't you just use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade?
    i would do that execpt that the jigsaw guide thing would get in the way bc my door isnt all the way flat. there is like a handle and different shaped stuff around the edges. its not just like a flat piece of wood or something.

it is a variable speed drill so its not just full or none. it pressure sensitive. i might go to a hardware store and either by a cheap dremel or look at the circlir saw bits. thats for the link.

Forget the rotozip drill idea.If you use jigsaw with metal blade as suggested you will have success.I also use electric die grinder with cut off wheels.Jo ps,Do not buy clone dremels(junk)
    Last edited by jofultner; 01-13-2006 at 07:23 AM.
    Main Rig-Clr full tower 7 colored fans,Asus A7N8X-Deluxe,Athlon xp3000+,1.5 gig pc3200,Saphire 9600pro 256 mb,Evercool wc101 water cooler,Ultra 500 x-connect,Maxtor 120,Dvd-rom,Dvd-ram,floppy,Windows XP pro sp2,2003 office pro...

I agree...I have a rotozip and is hard to keep straight even though I'm very good with my hands (so I've been told ). I would go with a jigsaw or reciprocating saw(sawsall) before a dremel. Circular saw would give you much straighter cuts, but would be on the dangerous side. It would be the fastest and give you straighter lines (as I said).

If the red (pink) cathodes don't work for you, check out LEDs..they should be RED enough for you. www.frozencpu.com has a good selection of them.

Also, to get the UV reactive connector to work, you'll need a UV bulb(blacklight). They have UV LEDs as well...but UV cathodes work great.

Wow!

After 6mths someone replies to this?

Also the base plate of the jigsaw need not be a problem with a little help from some scrap pieces of timber (yes metal saw bits will cut through timber as well) just thick enough to clear those types of obstacles but still penetrate the metal.

Most people I see using a RotoZip (or similar) are very lucky to get away without totally screwing their case (or themselves for that matter) as they have no idea of the kickback they have when they bite in nor how well the cutting disks have a tendency of flying in serveral different directions at the same time.

I have both but to me after all these years I still prefer to use a jigsaw as the main cutting instrument and the RotoZip as an "only if I really have too" (realisitically the RotoZip has been a complete waste of money to me as even smoothing a cut off I'd rather use a hand file instead).

Better late than never,lol...
    Main Rig-Clr full tower 7 colored fans,Asus A7N8X-Deluxe,Athlon xp3000+,1.5 gig pc3200,Saphire 9600pro 256 mb,Evercool wc101 water cooler,Ultra 500 x-connect,Maxtor 120,Dvd-rom,Dvd-ram,floppy,Windows XP pro sp2,2003 office pro...

Thread Information