Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Advice On Painting An Xbox 360

Default Advice On Painting An Xbox 360

I'm new to the case modding scene, but I was thinking about getting a new face plate and spray painting my Xbox 360 when it came so that it doesn't look quite so lame. In my head I picture it being black with blue flames and a glossy finish.

It seems to me that painting a CRT monitor might be similair to painting the 360 as they both have a matte plastic finish and lots of venting. The monitor painting FAQ's I've read all seem to reccommend removing the monitor cover from the monitor before painting it. On the Xbox site however it says you can't remove the 360 cover without voiding your warranty. After seeing one up close yesterday, and reading more about it today it sounds like they've removed all the screws on the outside (I don't know how they'll be servicing them then!) Anyway, basically it may be hard / impossible to detach the cover from the unit for painting. Does anyone have any idea if painting the 360 with the cover still on the unit might be okay? Is what I'm thinking practical? Any suggestions or websites would rock! Thx!

Last edited by praxis; 11-10-2005 at 10:08 AM.

Default Re: Advice On Painting An Xbox 360

You mentioned warrany would be voided if you remove the case. If you are worried about that then forget any modding. I'd guess that your warranty will prolly be toast if you paint the thing due to the likelyhood of paint getting into places it shouldn't.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I'm not so much worried about the warranty as I am about simply getting the case off. I've modded the LED's on my existing Xbox so opening it doesn't concern me, so long as there is a way I can find to do it without breaking the console. Getting the case back on is also a concern. What could happen if it was painted while still attached to the console? Would spray paint actually harm the electronics inside?

Everything that has been assembled can be disassembled, there's a way to open it... Once people will be able to handle it, they'll find that way. Look at the iPod... No screws, but we're still able to open it. And like you said, just for servicing them (if it's not built from an alien unbreakable material), I'm sure there's a way to open that beast.

Thread Information