Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I Upgrade My Computer To This Or Should I Wait For New Stuff?

Default Should I Upgrade My Computer To This Or Should I Wait For New Stuff?

Sorry i didnt know where to put this , OK the setup iam buying is as followed
    amd64x2 4400
    2 gigs ram
    ultra 600 watt psu
    thermaltake case
    GeCube x1900xtx oh great article thats the reasons i want this card
    Asus crossfire mother board ui havent exactly picked one yet
    200 gig sata2 hdd
    well there will be more but thats the jist of it.
    I have 2200 to spend on a computer givve me a answer plzz

Default Re: Should I Upgrade My Computer To This Or Should I Wait For New Stuff?

Well as far as waiting for "new stuff" goes, so far it does not seem like AMD's AM2 CPUs will be a lot better than the current s939 CPUs. But who knows after AM2 they may release a REALLY nice set of processors. That would be at least a year away though, if not two. I would not worry about the "new" stuff and would buy what you have there, except I might not gor for the 1900XTX and probably the XT but I dont have as much money to spend on hardware as you do.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Default Re: Should I Upgrade My Computer To This Or Should I Wait For New Stuff?

how much longer till AMD2 comes out because i have to have a computer for july for college

Late May, but it's impossible to say for sure whether boards will actually be available. I'd bet everything will be out before July, though.

There's another option, however, and it may be a better one. The AOpen i975Xa-YDG is a socket 479 board that supports both Yonah (Core Duo/Core Solo) and the upcoming Merom (basically an improved, 64-bit Yonah). These are notebook chips in a desktop board. It includes some incredible overclocking capabilities, and right now an overclocked Core Duo in this board is the fastest thing you can get. It theoretically has about as much upgradability as Core 2 Duo (Conroe) and AM2, although Conroe is going to be a little better (clock-for-clock, the CPUs will be faster). It's still faster than AM2 and socket 939, so I'd say it's an option worth giving some serious consideration.

Read this article for more information.

but if i go with the 939 socket then it will suck and be out of date and would only last me for 2 years or will it last almost as long as the amd2 i dont know

It's a given that any route you choose will be outdated in two or three years. That is the nature of computer components. The idea that anyone can "futureproof" their system is a myth.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by BURTON88
    but if i go with the 939 socket then it will suck and be out of date and would only last me for 2 years or will it last almost as long as the amd2 i dont know
    Interesting statement, considering no one recommended you get a socket 939 system.

No system will last two years unless you choose to wait that long. Sockets have lasted that long, but the chipsets needed for the newest processors never do. That, or some other component doesn't. AGP socket 939 users got cut off with PCI-E. LGA775 needed a new chipset for dual-core. Socket 479 needed a new chipset for Yonah. Socket A needed new chipsets for Athlon XPs, DDR, and 400MHz FSB/DDR400. Socket 478 needed new chipsets for 800MHz FSB. Three years is the most you can expect to get out of a motherboard before any worthwhile core upgrades require a new system entirely. Hard drives, peripherals, and RAM are the only components that last long enough that you can build systems around them. With that in mind, a system based around DDR2 makes the most sense right now.

And for the record, socket 939 won't last nearly that long. It's already dead as an upgradable platform. It's future is the entry-level systems. As of the AM2 release date, socket 939 is in a very similar spot to Socket A or socket 754 when they were replaced. Sure, you can still build a very fast system around it, but it won't make it through anymore upgrades.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 05-12-2006 at 05:00 AM.

socket 754 never lasted that long anyway - 939 was already in the works when they released 754. regardless, processors, if theyre fast, will last a good while - s939 should definately keep up for 2 years at least, in terms of gaming.

oh yeah, and why did intel add a single pin to s748? did they REALLY need it for a VITAL bit? how compeletely poncey.
    Last edited by Munkul; 05-12-2006 at 04:35 PM.
    System Specs:
    AMD athlon 64 3200 venice @ 2.4ghz
    Asrock Dual-939SATA2
    Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 chip r430 @ 480mhz core/540mhz mem with 1.6v vcore
    1gb Corsair XMS TwinX PC3200 timings 2-3-3-6 at 400mhz
    250gb Hitatchi deskstar T7K500 SATAII disk
    160gb samsung spinpoint PATA disk
    Asus 1608P2 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
    Unbranded 500W PSU single 17A rail
    Innovatek and Asetek Watercooling (triple fan radiator)
    LOTS OF METAL

tyhanks uiam buy AMD2 now

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul
    oh yeah, and why did intel add a single pin to s748? did they REALLY need it for a VITAL bit? how compeletely poncey.
    They did not add a pin. They just call it a Socket 479 CPU so morons don't buy them for their Socket 478 boards. They do have a different pin configuration. And the Dothan and Yonah both have different pin configurations. But they all have 478 pins.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information