Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New cooling concept

:shoot3: Guys, i need some feedback on this new idea i have had.

right then... basicly i thought, we do all we can to get cold air onto out heatsinks, but what about the hot air which comes off the bottom of them?????

i have begun constructing a suction system which basicly consists of 4 60mm fans and alot of tubing. it will sit onto of the pc in a box and will suck hot air away from the bottom of my dragon ord away from the pc.

the suction is not to strong as i think this will have a negative effect on the cold air being blown down onto the heatsink

just wondering if anyone has any views tips or past experiences on this.

Cheers
    Dazza b

My 4 50CFM sunon 8cm case fans have the job of blowing the hot air that comes from my heatsink (and anything else in my system) is blown through and out my case.

and while yes the hot air, if left to sit and stay in the case can damage components, i don't think it is enough to worry too much about if you have propper case ventilation

:shoot3: i am on about having a couple of 15mm tubes sittin next to the heatsink sucking away thus alowing more cool air to flow onto it

just i magin a very small hoover on a low setting suckin away the hot air from the bottom of the heatsink

Yes good case ventilation is really all ya should need and well positioned case fans will give ya case a wind tunnel effect. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

i am after a bit more than just the standard couple of fans, i have got loads of case fans already, i want to "suck" all the hot air directly away from the heatsink

no wot i mean

Dazza, that will be affective, and here is why. When you removed the hottest air, it is no longer in the case, which means a higher percentage of the air moved by your heatsink fan will be fresh air.

The method you suggest is used by many builders when they are trying to make a quiet PC. It is quieter, because then they can drastically reduce the overall CFM, because they are removing the hot air coming off the heatsink. If that air is removed, it cannot be re-ciruclated within the case, which means the heatsink fan will alwasy be blowing fresh air, and therefore cooler air.

==================

Enermax makes a duct system that is your suggestion in reverse, and it is very efficient and very quiet. They sell a tube that connects to most heat sink fans, causing the heatsink fan to act as an intake fan as it sucks in fresh air (through the tube, which is mounted to a hole on the back of the case)

Exactly 100% of the air being blown onto the heatsink is FRESH, and as the heatsink heats it up, enermax's system is designed to then just let the air go out through the Psu.

Makes for a very quiet, and very efficient cooling setup.

http://www.directron.com/whisperkit.html
    15$ USD

That looks pretty good ...

My idea consists of 2 see through tubes (hole width about 15mm) which rest on the mobo and such air from right at the bottom of the heatsink next to the processor. This air then goes up the tube out of the pc into a seperate box where it is blown out the back above the psu.

I have done some test on this and have found that

1) the temp of the air inside my case is 18-19'c (british weather)
    2) the air coming out the bottom of my heatsink is 28-30'c

so my system will suck the 30'c air away from the heatsink and out of harms way.

Therefore the air being sucked onto the heatsink will in theory be around 8'c cooler than before, a big improvment i think.

I will get some pics and some results and post them on here asap.

How do i convert a bit map picture into a gif or jpeg etc ???
    do i simply save it as that file type of will i need a converter

Anyways

W.O.R.D
    Dazza B

How much air are you actually going to be able to suck out through two 15mm tubes....

It may be more efficiant to use wider tubing :confused:
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

quite alot actually, there are 4 of these tubes each with a suction powered by 2x 40 cfm fans, the power of each individual tube is enougth to such bits of paper etc up. they r v powerful as the 80mm fans suction is narrowed down to 15mm.

What kind of strain does that put on the 80mm x 80mm fan?

Thread Information