Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Clinic server

Default My Clinic server

My wife and I own a vet clinic. You will see the learning curve.
    First Server:
    Clinic was peer2peer before this):
    It has an AMD OPty 185, 4 gigs of OCZ ram , two 500 gig drives in Raid 1, and a Geforce 7600 i think. I know she ain't pretty but even fugly gerlz need love.

At the time these were our workstations:

A pic of server in new habitat. It served five fujistu tablet pcs, three Alienware desktops, and two of these (four more on order):
    Server:

Well, it ran okay but died on my the night of my suprise bday party. My best friend and I went to the clinic to work on it while my wife got all my friends to come over and set up the party with me having no clue. We returned to the house with the SFF server in hand and spent the night with everyone's helps building a new server (in a Thermaltake Armor case) from spare parts. I finally got it all up and running and everything migrated over by 5 am. The clinic opened at 7:30 AM

Default Re: My Clinic server

The second server:
    For this post I am copying my worklog from another site. Please note this server lasted for a couple years running with me having to use the redundancy feature once (which did save us from downtime). The rig finally bit the dust when there was a HDD corruption issue that replicated with the stripped array. The clinic information systems were down for an entire day. That day sucked big time. I replaced it temporarily with the guts from my Nvidia Globe build :

The waterbox-based version 2.0 has been scraped and re-purposed as a workstation. The server project is now based on a Mountain Mods Duality.

The server will contain two identical setups. One side will always be powered down and only used if the primary side has a non-hard drive hardware failure. The server will use raid 1 Raptor Xs for HDD security as well. If there is a hardware failure, the server is equiped with swappable hard drive bays so the staff can just pop out the two HDDS from on set of bays, pop them in the other side, fire that other side up and then run like Forrest Gump.

Hardware:
    Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo
    4 Gigs OCZ RAM (two 2 gig sticks)
    Intel Bad Axe 2 mobo
    DD TDX block on CPU
    DD Maze 4 block on NB
    DD D5 Pump
    Thermochill PA 120.2 Rad with 4 Yate Loons in Push/Pull
    Matrix Orbital M222
    Corair 620 watt modular PSU

Note: Two of each of the above of course since this is Duality

My goal is almost ZERO downtime. Custer Xeon servers would be a bit spendy. We must have our system running to run the business (almost paperless medical records folks).

And yes, I am an attention monger . . .we are expanding our clinic (taking over an additional 1800 sq ft to our existing 3000 sq ft) which means a total remodel. Part of our plans (well, I part) is to have an display area that joins the lobby and middle work area for displaying the server and Waterbox workstations (like a shelf between teh two) with a shelf lower and behind the display in the middle for some of the network hardware and such). We plan to make the lobby a hot spot as well and are going to put in a game system of some sort for the kids and teenie boppers.
    arggg. Going slower than expected. Gonna wait to throw it all in til tomorrow cause I want to find some mirrored acrylic to put on the botton (just plain not colored probably).

Anyways, got the fans sleeved (still have to heat shrink one). I found I have a slight variance in my Yates coloring. Got them from two different sources but I have enuf of the truer blue for the rads. Also cut holes for and installed the fill ports. Drilled wholes for the pumps as well.

My "Taekwondo" room which is more like a shop is a flippen mess:

After the server I need to finish the waterbox workstation:

Got a UV blue mobo tray to use instead of the orange one.
    After a short break I am getting this puppy finished. Leak testing tonight. After that, wire management then use Acronis to copy the server over.

Nice PSUs:
    Front:

Backup System:

Primary System:
    Baby got back:
    Close up of rads and rats nest to straighten up:
    Last edited by DarthBeavis; 11-11-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Third (and current server):
    This one uses my Skulltrail motherboard and dual QX9775s that Intel gave me for a previous build. It has Raid 1+0 Western Digital Velociraptors
    Build log:
    This puppy housed in a Danger Den Tower 26.

I am adding legs as the server will sit behind a window in our lobby that separates the lab from the lobby. The wall extends about 10" up the the beginning of the window. I want the clients to have a clear view of the rig.

Attaching the legs with on of my favorite tools . . . .

Nice and shiny:

I am picky about screws (do not like Philips prefer socket head for looks) so I buy them in bulk from McMasters:

The downside is they do not sell them in all the sizes Danger Den uses so I have to cut them down sometimes:

I also prefer colored fasteners when possible. They I either bought or had powder coated. I hope to buy an anodizing kit this Summer when I can afford it so I can do my own hardware including things like ioplates:

Here is the case so far . . . .moving slow today as I am under the weather.

My PSU has one side like looks McNasty like an anal fissue (the other sides are nicely air-brushed) so I decided to do a little ghetto mod to it. I will layer mesh over some UV blue that I will bend into an shape to make a new side cover. I will put in some UV leds behind it probably wiring them to the inside of the psu.

First, here is the starting shot:

After I cut off the offending end:

Measuring out the mesh:

Got the mesh on, will redo the C channel to square the top part out later.

Side panel design for laser rastering:

tubular

Did sleeving the final tubing today (came out a tad sloppy but it works):

Leak tested and boots into bios. Enough for tonight. Tomorrow make sure it boots up to Server 2008. I will get the raid setup after PDXLAN.

After this rig, onto the water-cooled Xbox.

Skulltrail server deployed:

and the new workstations:

And iMacs - boot camping Vista Business

...........:bleh:
    i7 920 D0
    Gigabyte UD4P Bios F9c

LOL . . .go back to NVNews

Very cool computers.

but i have to say, dont you think building such extreme computers is kind of a waste of money for just basically office use? i feel like you could save a lot of money buy just buying like dell workstations or something.
    -Antec 900
    -Corsair 750TX Power Supply
    -GA-EP45-UD3P v1.0 w/ F6 bios
    -Q8200 Core 2 Quad Yorkfield @ 2.33GHz --> OCed to 3.2GHz Stable
    -Masscool Ice Cold 7WA001 HSF (30C idle, 57C full load)
    -EVGA GTX 260 896mb
    -OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB 1066 DDR2
    -WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM (main)
    -WD Caviar Green 500GB 7200RPM (backup)
    -Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by FonduJack View Post
    Very cool computers.

but i have to say, dont you think building such extreme computers is kind of a waste of money for just basically office use? i feel like you could save a lot of money buy just buying like dell workstations or something.
    go price servers. The hardware in teh workstations is really mid-level stuff. The Skulltrail server I made from sponsored mobo and CPUS. Also, the computer stuff you buy for a business you get to write off

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice setups you got there, I am always amazed with your work!

Thanks for posting the nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    go price servers. The hardware in teh workstations is really mid-level stuff. The Skulltrail server I made from sponsored mobo and CPUS. Also, the computer stuff you buy for a business you get to write off
    Gotcha. Hey if it works why change it.
    -Antec 900
    -Corsair 750TX Power Supply
    -GA-EP45-UD3P v1.0 w/ F6 bios
    -Q8200 Core 2 Quad Yorkfield @ 2.33GHz --> OCed to 3.2GHz Stable
    -Masscool Ice Cold 7WA001 HSF (30C idle, 57C full load)
    -EVGA GTX 260 896mb
    -OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB 1066 DDR2
    -WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM (main)
    -WD Caviar Green 500GB 7200RPM (backup)
    -Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by FonduJack View Post
    Gotcha. Hey if it works why change it.
    it is my hobby as well ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information