Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Install Top Exhaust Fan Through Metal?

If you are mounting the blower externally, the opening won't really have to be very tidy - the fan hides a lot.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

ya but making the hole hidden would be hidden by a fan which is not something you really want to look at. as its not really professional at all. However this is not the case if you decide to mod your case with a monster and have the air from the fan come in through the monsters mouth.

Yes, it's a matter of taste.
    Personally I don't mind the fan extending 1 1/4" above the case. That way it is drawing the uppermost air out of the case, which should be the warmest air inside. Instead of allowing a deadspace at the top of the case interior.

But it does look cleaner if the fan is mounted internally.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I didn't even think of that. That would help manners some won't it? Speaking of. I have two cd-rom drives at the top two bays of my computer and well I have a rounded ata cable set up on those drives and the drives get so close together that the rubber coating on the rounded cable ends up breaking because of it. Not really breaking but you know how plastic will start to turn a little whitish when it weakens? Well its starting to look like that. Besides that its blocking air flow of half the fan.

Be scientific, mount the fan internal and get some good readings on your temperature. Being as you will already have all the hole and hardware you can switch it to external and see if it does make a significant difference.

I've just always had mine external because of physics I guess?
    I'd really have to do some cosmetic work on the hole in my case before I could try an internal mount.
    But actually, like I said I really don't mind the fan sticking up - kinda like the blower on the hood of a street rod. LOL

hehehe ya that's true. I can make my computer look even more hooked up. I think I might do that just for that affect. I'll stick a baseball card in the fan to make it make a loud sound like kids used to do to there bicycles to make them sound like motorcycles.

LOL Own it man:thumb:

uh oh..........this was a real brief thought I didn't put much thought into it but something I just thought of was.....how exactly do you get the power cable with the molex connector into the case?

i drilled a hole where the cables come though, then cut through from the main hole to there, just be carefull not to slice the sheilding.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

I cut off the molex connector as I'm running the blower from my fanbus. I did double up the heatshrink tubing at the point the wire comes through the hole, in case there is a burr there - better safe than sorry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information