Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Install Top Exhaust Fan Through Metal?

Mine cost me about $3 to build.
    I used a genuine Martha Stewart pillbox from KMart for $0.79 and some 3M wire connectors for just over $2 for a 3 pack.
    I already had the wire and spare molex around + the other neccesary parts - like I said, mine was a progression.

To the best of my limited knowledge I have the only PC on the planet with an integrated Martha Stewart brand-name component inside : peace: :p
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Can you take a picture or maybe type out some instuctions? I already have my power cables dressed up in spiral wrap. A fan bus will just make things better? But my power supply is only a 300 watt. Can one molex connector power all the fans in my case?

Fans don't take much juice. You can run 3 or 4 off 1 molex with no problem -- I honestly don't know what the maximum number would be.
    I used the squeeze type connectors to split the wires.
    You can always split the wires again, make 2 into 3 etc. etc.

Additionally I used the insulated spade type connectors to hook everything up. that way if I ever need to change a fan, switch or LED I won't have to drag everything out of the case to solder it. Just put a spade on the new component with a pair of pliers and plug it in. Though soldered connections do look nicer, they aren't quite as handy sometimes.

There are some excellent fanbus tutorials on the web, virtualhideout.net & 7volts.com for instance have some.

Here's a simple drawing in paint of the basic schematics involved.
    Trust me, it's a lot clearer than my cheesy camera's pictures.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

ok I"m gonna put some definite considerations into making a fan bay bus. Its definitly gonna be my next case mod. The fact that its so cheap I can probably do it before the next lan party. Which is in a few days I think. For a few bucks I got some stuff at home and with my dads expierience with the sodder tool (forget it I ain't touching it) I'm definitly gonna have some fun doing it.

do a Google search for fanbus, get some ideas then apply your ideas to them and see what you can come up with.
    No rush, and yeah, I'm thinking you'll have fun:thumb:

yup I hope so. One more question though (definitly not the last one) where in your case do you have the fan bus located? I mean like I said I have my power cables dressed up with spiral wrap. Its a bit stiff.

Here's a good set of wiring diagrams for fan buses, http://www.fanbus.com/thelab/Schemat...schematics.htm ;)
    I usually put them into a spare 5.25" drive bay. :D
    <center>:cheers:</center>

This is all good stuff. Looks like I am gonna have to build on myself cause 15 dollars for a cliff forgotlastname fanbus is 15 bucks. With the amount of fans that I gotta I would need to buy like 3 of them. Kinda sucks how it only supports 4 fans. I have 5 case fans. I also have dual 30MM hard drive cooling fans. Also my 6-MM delta that I would like to wire up in it.

The Dremel is also quite handy if you can borrow one. I suggest using the heavy-duty cut-off wheels instead of the standard cut-off wheels since they last longer.

Correction Notification
    In the horrid graphic I posted earlier the hot wire for the LED is depicted as going to the wire leading to the switch from the 12V wire.
    This is in error, in actuality it is wired to the hot wire located between the switch and the fan. If wired as shown in the above diagram you would actually be creating a closed circuit and would result in bypassing the switch altogether allowing the fan and light to operate at all times, independant of the switch being in the on or off position.
    Sorry:confused:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information