Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clear or translucent keyboard

Anyone know if there is an entirely clear or translucent keyboard,
    how about just keys clear or translucent keys?

I have seen transulcent blue, never really looked though.

At US sites i have seen kewl clear bendy rubber ones, has anyone seen them in AUS?

OR (as a passing thought) you could make/MOD your own!!!
    The casing would be the easy part, and the keys would probably be quite easy too.
    All you need is perspex and enative! :thumb:

There are lots of translucent ones. I've seen red,green,blue,orange,smoke, and purple. Here's a link to a clear one:

http://www.lctstore.com/clearcas108k.html

yah, ive seen a couple of keyboards out there with clear casing, but ive never really seen them with clear keys. Im planning on modding it regardless of whether i get it prefabricated or not. My plan is to backlight the keys. I think making my own would probably be my best shot at getting quality results, as i can make sure the ekeys get lighted enough.

Does anyone know of a clear or translucent material (preferably liquid, so i can put it in a mold) that after setting turns into a somewhat tough rubbery texture? Id be happy with sometihng that comes out clear or translucent and is plasticky hard though too if i cant find anything else. any ideas or experience?

Glue?

slastic would be rubbery

You could also use glow wire stuff to ilumanate the keyboard
    :thumb:

i ve been searching online for elastomers and epoxies and such and although some of the elastomers would be really sweet as far as how everything would come out, they either come in 55 Lbs barrels, cost $220.00(USD) :snip: a gallon , require super high temperatures for molding or require indusrial vacuum's for setting or a combo of them all.
    which getting ot the point, either i dont need or dont have.
    and the epoxies, well i cant seem to think of a way to set them in a mold, and then get it out of the mold without destroying the mold due to epoxies ability to bond to almost any surface.
    I wish there were just some simple plasticy stuff that i could make, considering i work for a place that stores chemicals and such and are easily accesible to me,

so i guess im prolly going to end up making a mold out of sometihng i havent decided and using some type of clear or translucent hot glue for my keys. I havent worked with LED's before though. does anyone know if they produce heat. anif so how much? My plan is to modify the back of my keys with an extra holding place for an LED so when the key is pressed, it closes the circut and lights up, but the keys being hot glue, im worried they might melt and ruin my plan. i have yet to draw myself a model and everything but anyone have any other ideas?
    im also designing the casing from scratch to work with my mods too. But yah thats my long and over detailed story for today.

craft glue or one of those sets clear and comes off easy, but you would have to layer it into the mould, you could cut little squares of perspex instead.
    LED do put out heat but barely any.

Years ago, there used to be kits for making Xmas decorations. There were little plastic pellets a little larger than grains of rice that you put in a mold and put in a regular kitchen oven. They had lots of colors, including clear. You could buy refills of the pellets by the bottle. I can't remember a brand name or source, but maybe a search might turn something up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information