Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Not exactly a case mod...

It's a monitor mod. I raised the Sony logo on the front of my monitor with some perspex and back lit it with some high intensity leds glued into some holes I drilled into the housing. I tapped 5v from the small circuit board behind the controls.

The picture isn't quite accurate, the glow looks better in real life and is a deeper red. The picture is a little over exposed in relation to the glow.

I like it because it illuminates my keyboard at night, but isn't bright enough to interfere with my viewing of the monitor.

Hi dejay, long time no see. :wave:

Great lookin' monitor case mod there. :thumb:

Btw do the LED's give ya enough light in the dark to see the k/b? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

wow that's cool. I like that alot. I wonder if anyone else has ever thought about it. Do you get alot of ooooooo's and aaaah's at lans?

Nifty little innovation there dejay.
    You got it goin' on dood - with style:thumb:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Yeah, it's been a long time Wiggo. I think I used to post about my ghetto water cooling setup and such, but I grew disinterested in cooling. I ripped it all out and returned my cpu to normality. However, I've recently gotten into case mods and such. Hence my return ;)

In reality I'm a simple guy, and coloured lights amuse me :) I've done a few mods centred around lights, which I'll probably post. I came up with this idea after seeing a shop display somewhere and liking the look of raised logos/letters with backlighting.

Yes, the light does give me enough light to see the keyboard. Playing dark games at night, with no lights on, I never used to be able to see the keys. Now they have a soft red illumination, like emergency lighting. Being soft red, it doesn't affect my night vision either. Also, the bezel on the monitor stops the light hitting any part of the monitor screen, so it's all good.

No, I don't gett oohs and aahs at lans, because I don't go to them :) Also, being a heavy 21" monitor, I wouldn't want to lug it around. Reactions from other people have ranged from "wow, that's cool" to "wtf?"

Thanks for the pos feedback guys :thumb:

looks good, pity digital cameras + light in a dark shot = bad photos, it'd be great to be able to take photos of this type of thing and get a real dea of what it actually looks like :)
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

looks great :thumb:

I personally, wouldn't mess around with a montior, let alone an expensive sony one :o

Looks great :thumb:

I'm plottingg to window and black light my good old 17" osbourne monitor.
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1662Mhz | Volcano 7+ HSF | Soltek SL-75DRV5 | 256MB Corsair XMS-3000 DDR RAM | 44x44x24 Yamaha CDR-W F1 | 16x Liteon DVD | 40Gig 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda | 20Gig 5400rpm Seagate | GeForce2 MX-400 | SB Live! | RTL8139A NIC | RTL8139B NIC | 12 Fans | 1 x ss Blue cc | 2 x Red Neons | 450W Codgen PSU | Logitech Z-340 2.1 Sub and sats | 17" Osborune Monitor | Win XP Pro | M$ explorer rat and keyboard | Everglide Attack Optical

Great mod man...looks real nice...and royal blue wouldn't hurt it eiither...but then it would look like something sony made...so red looks cooler
    - Damien

Thread Information