Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Homeade Refrigerated Computer

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    hmm how about an 18 bay server all with a beer!!!!! Hmmmmm that's sounds awesome, but if i were to do that, i feel that wiggo would move in w/ me :D :D j/k

I think kane2g was poking a funny to you wiggo

No but really, keep going on your prodject, I really hope you do it

Hey and maybe add a toilet too?? Because the Beers gatta go somewhere else while your pc'ing ya know??
    I mean for the and/or us lazy people:wave:

I can just see it now... A universal, versatile house-hold appliance, you can keep your drinks in it, you can cook your food in it, it will hold your "waste", it can hold the beverage that you're drinking, you can attach a nozzle to it to make it act as a hoover, ohh... And is also a computer :D

I reckon someone could convert one of those big racing arcade machines into something like that, something I wouldn't mind trying to do if I had the equipment. ;)

This conversation caught my eye.. Ive been considering the same thing, though a little differently, how about taking a water cooling kit and running it to the hard drive and cpu and gpu and memory, fsb, and then sticking the radiator in the refridgerator, and im thinking a portable like the 12 volt ones for trucks and stuff, but taking that tiny refridgerator and moding it into the top of the case (cause heat rises, etc.) then have two power supplys running (one for the m/b, and one for the fans and refridge) one could be a 400 watt atx the other could be a 200 watt at power supply.. this seems to have been the best conclusion in my mind. it leaves gobs of power for overclocking and accessories (neon lights are the bomb).. i want a completely clear pc but i wanna seal it off so i get no dust the only prob is the other pieces (sound card and such) that need cooling.. what a company needs to design is a m/b that has liquid runinng through itlike through the middle.. i know im crazy, but i figure i might be able to push a 2.5 gHz machine to 4.0 with this.. hopefully..
    I fear you underestimate my sneakiness sir!!

If you actually manage to do this, I would suggest that you place all CD/DVD/Floppy drives on the outside of the case. Normal flat IDE will allow you to close the door and still have a pretty good seal.

With something warm in a cold environment you still have a good chance of getting condensation. So try to never open the door unless you have to change something.

I'm not sure if you should turn the fridge/freezer one with the computer inside or put the computer inside once you've reached the desired temp.

Important
    Also, never *EVER* turn off the fridge while you have computer components inside. Anyone who has been to college and seen what happens at semester's end when everyone puts their fridges out in the hallway could tell you, you get lots and lots of water.

Also, go for the mini-freezer, more bang for buck there and better dehumidifying.

Heatpipes might not work inside a fridge; the deference in temp. may not be enough or may not be in the right range to get good cooling from heat pipe, I don't know.

Also!
    remember that if you will be sleeping near your computer the fridge will always have to be on, so you will always have the noise of the fridge to deal with.
    Someday I would like to become knowledgeable so that I could do penance for all the stupid questions I have and have yet to ask.

Hey Drunk Prozak, I think a few people already put their water tanks from their water cooling system in a fridge or freezer. If you use the right adative or the right liquid, it will still remain liquid much below pure water's freezing point (like Refridgerating coolant).

I think the main thing is to have it all in one case, but fridges are quite loud...

I mentioned before that you can buy these for about 500 and they do give -ive temps on the core
    1700+ @ 2084MHz (166x12.5) -|- SLK-800 w/120mm Fan -|- MSI Ti4200 291/581 -|- 512 ddr PC2700 Crucial @ 372MHz -|- 30gb BB & 80gb JB WD -|- Asus A7V(D'oh)8X -|- CT Dragon Alu w/ 6 80mm Case fans -|- 3DMark2001 score = 12777 -|-

Default Re: Homeade Refrigerated Computer

I like the idea of refrigerating the water tank in a water cooled system. Couldn't there be a problem with the temperature differential as the coolant heated up but before the refrigerator turned on? I suppose a freezer would help this situation, or simply set the refrigerator on really high. When seriously overclocking a computer, besides the CPU and the bridge, memory, and GPU, what other components should I worry about? I'm considering a fan-less system, got a real dust problem and no AC?

Lightbulb Re: Homeade Refrigerated Computer

i had a similar idea, but i come about it with a different approach. it started when i saw videos of PC's submerged in mineral oil. i liked the idea, did some research and found that mineral oil is often used as a dielectric thermal transfer fluid in high voltage transformers. now there are specifically designed dielectric(non-conductive) fluids, that are being used in military computers and even super-computers. Mineral oil is less preferable to these fluids because they have integrated anti-microbial agents and the viscosity, freeze T.,boil T. and flash T. are intentional. However, these products (exxon and 3m for ex.) generelly go for about 250-500$/Lt.
    My conclusion is that mineral oil (with a little tweaking) could be the Budget Solution. I'll spare you the boring details, if you want a computer case that's not HUGE(lots of oil to absorb heat) you would have to have an active cooling system(liquid HE, freon HE, or maybe even Ln2!) because with a high-end PC like the one I'm about to build(phenom 2 x4 3.2, 8gb ddr3 1600, 2x4790 1gb, 1000wPSU) the oil will absorb the heat well enough, but after multiple hour of full load the oil would get too hot. after a bit of thought, I came to the same idea that you had, to gut a 79$ mini-freezer. submerse the cold side in the oil above the MOBO near the CPU and GPU. you also need a good amount of fans inside to circulate the oil. i see a lot of potential for extreme overclocking, especially if I can create a robust heat exchange system that can use freon full-time and ln2 for fun, and total Silence.

This would also deal with your condensation problem because the oil will insulate the exchanger from the moisture in the air.
    these videos are dumb, but they cover some important points
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xToqhruoqqQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xToqhruoqqQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJdUhtD1zns&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fJdUhtD1zns&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
    you could avoid all those problems with proper design
    tell me what you think
    adam
    Last edited by synergysymphony; 07-22-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Dead nuts simple/cheap way to get refrigerated computer.

Buy a leftover used refrigerator, full size, from the want ads for $50-100

Buy a plastic Rubbermaid tub/box from Wongmart/Shams club and put all your computer inside.

Draw a circle the size of a dryer hose on the outside of the freezer. Cut a 1" hole, and hacksaw lines to the outer circle, making "teeth" that you can bend up. HOse clamp the dryer hose to the vent. cut a hole and shove the hose into the box. make little X shaped holes for all your cables to go in, and duct tape it up. Hooray. Now it will be fugly but COOOLLD and you can use the whole fridge and freezer.

re: bionic do all computer/toilet.

The Japanese have it patented in 200 countries, they are waiting for the right time to unleash it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
    I can just see it now... A universal, versatile house-hold appliance, you can keep your drinks in it, you can cook your food in it, it will hold your "waste", it can hold the beverage that you're drinking, you can attach a nozzle to it to make it act as a hoover, ohh... And is also a computer :D

I reckon someone could convert one of those big racing arcade machines into something like that, something I wouldn't mind trying to do if I had the equipment. ;)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information