Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my project....

well, the one I'm focusing at the moment, anyway.
    I got some pics of the stuff that I got.
    Now with another RMAd drive on the way, everything should work fine. Still working on the screen, but thats just the last missing piece.
    OK here's the mobo, Epia800

here's a pic with the PSU.

hahah no case, makes you wonder why in case modding gallary, but looks pretty 1337
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Well, the case..... there is no case per say, but it will go into my car, under the dash behind the LCD. Maybe I will take some pics tommorow to explain it better.
    I dont think it would fit anywhere else tho, as far as forums :rolleyes2
    I am still trying to figure out all the brackets and whatnot, in order to mount it in there pretty well.
    will keep ya'll posted. and hopefully have more pics. ;)

PS I forgot to mention that this puppy will have GPS! Which I already acquired, so no more getting lost while cops are chasing after me! J/K

What OS are you going to use? I suggest tinkering with a linux distro and grabbing DashPC specifically for car usage. This is just plain 1337 I don't even have a car yet, but thats a sweet idea you got going there. Make sure if you run linux/windows you have a nice speakers setup w/ plenty of base! I would get an Audigy 2, or one of those high-end Hercules cards! Some ideal applications for both operating systems are:

Linux:
    XMMS 1.2.7 (The BEST mp3/ogg player)
    mplayer .90 stable (The BEST movie player)
    DashPC
    LIRC (For your infrared remote)

Windows:
    Winamp 2.91 Standard (Lightest on resources, while owning and having the ability to play ogg's :)
    WMP 9.0 (There *are* other good movie players out for windows, but I have had the best luck w/ media player 9 so far)

It's important to have a fast, and extrmemly stable OS. When bluescreens are simply not an option, one must pick a later if not latest revision of the microsoft operating system. I suggest Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition. It is the fastest, most stable, and most secure OOTB M$ OS that ever saw light. Now if you don't know where to obtain this, or don't have $2000 bucks, this is where linux comes in handy. A speedy thing such as Gentoo, Yoper, Morphix, or any other distro known for speed, specifically i686 compiled is what is for you! Now I wish to say good luck, and let the moddiifications begin!

EDIT: Winamp 2.91 Standard, and some wicked high-quality (320 kps oggs) are available from the site in my sig... I bet that those ogg's would sound stellar in your newest 'box' hehe.
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

not going with Linux, although I did think about it.
    This project was in the back of my mind for about 2yrs now. Never really had the initiative to get it started. Now that I did, I am going to make this as easy to use as I can, so I'm going with the win98 lite route. I know that if I start messing with linux the project will get put on backburner, and I really want to finish it by 4th of July.

I am still considering if to go with the 802.11b USB adapter or go with 50ft of Cat 5 to the garage.
    Also I am debating between which screen to get the VGA thats $400 or the RCA thats $200. I really want the better one, but we'll see how the budget goes. :shrug:

the only thing thats left is to play with the startup and shutdown logos :D

EDIT:
    I dont think that 2003server would be ideal for this setup. But I do have a "copy" of it. Retail too. :P
    I was considering XP but I would have to gut a lot of it, and I really dont want to start doing that. Well, maybe... depending on how long the wait will be for me to get the cash for the LCD

LoL I was going to do that with my computer when I get a car, so good idea :-D. Well that would be really really 1337. Hope it works and take some pics when your done
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Winamp 2.91 Standard (Lightest on resources, while owning and having the ability to play ogg's
    which version plays ogg. the lite doesnt. is it standard or the biggest one???

tool, will have pics of it for sure!

I also decided to go 802.11b route for getting the mp3's. I am planning to have a 2 usb ports sitting next to the screen, so i can plug in the adapter. The other would be used for thumbdrive or something, dont know yet.
    Also I will be going with the rca LCD as its cheaper, so i can afford it sooner and I can always get VGA one later. :thumb:
    :cheers:

There is lite, standard, and super-bloated (or something like that). I standard and super-bloated support .ogg's. You can grab Winamp 2.91 from my site in my sig :thumb:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information