Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Trancer
    At boot up it list my 2 primary devices fine (Hard Drives).

Secondary Master : None
    Secondary Slave: Asus CD

The master should show my other CD drive.
    Are you still having a problem with this though ???

If so, fix this first then think about windows and the 4 in 1. Unless this is fixed up, your are wasting your time trying to get windows to do anything intelligent (hmmm, could even say that when the bios is ok !). THE 4 IN 1 DRIVERS WILL NOT FIX BIOS ISSUES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore no VIA driver or patch will suddenly make your harware detect.

If the BIOS is going along just fine now and ALL drives are being detected but windows is still having problems then check in device manager if there are any resource conflicts with the device you mentioned.
    (!) Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
    If not, try deleting it then restart so it'll redetect and hopefully reinstall it properly.

Also with the 4 in 1, unless you have new hardware or a new OS there is absolutely no point in upgrading the drivers. I'm sure Tweak will correct me if I'm wrong here but really the 4 in 1 is only updated to support new chipsets and new OS. Sure, after the first release for a particular OS / Chipset there may be some bug fixes for a few driver releases afterwards but for older systems there is no point. The drivers that are actually installed are the same ones, just distributed in a different package.
    WooHoo !! I at long last have a job ! Yay for me !

----------------- Proof I think FAR too much ----------------

How does the headless horseman see where he's going ???

Yes i am still having problems with that. At start up it doesnt detect my CD writter. I checked the jumpers are set correctly, and the current set up has been working up until now, i think when i installed the new 4in1s, not too sure. I also installed the 4 way interleaving thing for Via chipsets.

My BIOS settings seem ok i think, it does read on the first option however:

Primary Master: 98754 (or whatever for 10GB hard drive)
    Primary Slave: 23789 (or whatever for 2GB hard drive)
    Secondary Master: None
    Secondary Slave: None

When i press enter on the None parts it just takes you to a menu to detect if theres a hard drive there.

Any ideas??

:cry:
    Fancy some extra Cash?

http://www.productsandprofits.com

Is there an AUTO option for the Secondary master and slave in your BIOS? That should be your best bet for a CD device.
    For an AWARD BIOS you would go into Standard CMOS Setup, arrow down to your Secondary Master, then use Page Up - or Page Down until AUTO appears. Do the same for the Secondary Slave. Then save changes and exit.

As for what I meant earlier, I was referring to running a Windows setup to overwrite the IDE Miniport with the native Windows driver.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

just for something different too, disconnect your ASUS CD and try your troublesom cd drive on that IDE connection.. make sure of course that you set it to slave if you need to...

Well after trying everything suggested I think ive found the problem.

I put the CD Writter in my bros machine and it didnt even want to get past the start up screen, it wouldnt detect the drive.

Then i put his CD Writter in my machine, my computer detected it fine.

Therefore it must be that my cd writter is broken! :cry:

So now ive put my writter in my computer and left it unplugged so that at least i can get the CD ROM to work.

How can it just break? its only about 5 months old and only been used a few times. I bought it as liquidation stock on ebay so i dont know wether theres a garantee.
    Fancy some extra Cash?

http://www.productsandprofits.com

It can happen at anytime and all it takes is a bit of conductive dust getting in the wrong place. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information