Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Help!

I recently installed the new 4in1 drivers, and now my CD Writer and my CD drive are not detected in widows. They are both on the same IDE cable, set as secondary master and slave.

They have been working fine, until recently. I think it stopped working after i installed the latest 4in1s.

At boot up it list my 2 primary devices fine (Hard Drives).

Secondary Master : None
    Secondary Slave: Asus CD

The master should show my other CD drive.

In Windows under system there shows a problem with my:

(!) Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)

I have tried unistalling the drivers and installing back the old versions, and i still have problems!

Can someone PLEASE help me!:confused:

System:

VIA Apollo 133
    Pentium III 600
    256MB RAM
    Geforce 2 MX
    Win 98
    Fancy some extra Cash?

http://www.productsandprofits.com

Go to www.viahardware.com and grab the latest IDE drivers. Just get these individually and not the full set. Then install them and see if everything works again.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Do you mean from here:

http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1

Ive tried downloading:

3.14 IDE miniport driver

Is this the driver you mean?

Im still having problems with it though.
    Fancy some extra Cash?

If I recall correctly with Win 98 you should use the native Windows driver - try running the minport driver installer again, this time choose uninstall.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

The VIA drivers override the native Windows drivers.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I tried that and it did work, although my CD Writter was still undetected, and sometimes it detected normal CDs as audio CDs :o(

Help?!
    Fancy some extra Cash?

Darn, I've had this same problem with the VIA 133A chipset and Win 98SE.
    Can't remember exactly how I resolved it though.
    If you refer to the VIA Driver Installation Guide you will see that the IDE miniport driver should not be installed under Windows 98.
    As I stated I can't remember the exact sequence I used to fix the problem.
    Personally, I don't feel there is anything to be gained by using 4in1 drivers beyond the 4in1429v with the OS and chipset you are using. As is often the case, it is ignored when VIA states that if you aren't experiencing problems, don't upgrade the 4in1's. (though I do understand that attitude is hardly sporting:laugh: )
    A couple of options here that might work.
    First uninstall the VIA 4 in1's.
    Make certain that the drives on the secondary IDE are configured to autodetect in the BIOS.
    Run a Windows setup (back up that data first, just in case).
    DL the 4in1 driver version 4in1428(a) or 4in1429 maybe as high as 4in1432 - but I seriously doubt you will gain anything from the latter.
    Install the IDE Filter Driver, AGP Driver, Via Inf Driver,IRQ Driver. Leaving the IDE Miniport uninstalled.

Or you could try uninstalling the IDE Miniport Driver, and removing the Secondary IDE controller and wrestling with your system till you get it back. (no fun there at all)

Anyway you cut it though, your system and driver files will probably end up a mess by the point it gets sorted out.

Wouldn't by any chance be about due for a clean install would you? Probably your best bet in the long run, and then reinstall drivers using the time-tested reccomended install order.

Sorry, Trancer I have been through this, and if there is an easy fix, I don't know what it is - as I remember it I hassled with it for a while, then just got severe.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Ummm, to me the problem looks like it's way back with the bios setup. No wonder windows isn't working too well. Drivers won't do much good if the hardware isn't detected properly. The very first step would be to ensure that the bios correctly detects your drives.

List of things to check:
    - That the bios has the Secondary Master set as "enabled" rather than "not available" or something that means the same thing.
    - That the jumpers on the drives are correct (ie one as slave, the other as master)
    - That the IDE cable is plugged in properly and around the right way
    - That the power cable is attached properly and isn't dodgy (I've had problems with dodgy power connectors before)
    - It's also often recommended that the "master" drive be attached to the END of the IDE cable and the "slave" be attached to the middle

The above may be considered really obvious, but it's often the obvious that we tend to overlook.

Cheers
    :cheers:
    WooHoo !! I at long last have a job ! Yay for me !

----------------- Proof I think FAR too much ----------------

How does the headless horseman see where he's going ???

I agree with everything you said FrodgE.
    But the problem that Trancer is experiencing is one I have had myself due to the VIA IDE Miniport driver.
    Of course, if the items on your list aren't setup properly, no driver in the world is going to help.
    I've even had the same thing occur when upgrading the 4in1's.

Run a Windows setup (back up that data first, just in case).
    Howd you mean?:?:

When i uninstall all the 4in1s the CD ROM works temporarily, but the CD Writter doesnt, it just seems to be completly off. Ive checked the cables and BIOS settings.

Still having problems
    Fancy some extra Cash?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information