Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a chipset do this?

I stand corrected. 256MB.
    Ultra DMA is showing as the transfer method on all devices. The burner is now set as master. I have a dual boot and tried to burn the VCD with Windows ME. The encoding process did fine, but when the burn got to about 75% complete, my system shut down as it does when the processor overheats. Did this exact same thing twice. I am in the process of trying it again with XP, but the first attempt yielded a nag message about the disk being "non writable". I am using Memorex CD-RW.
    I will keep at it, but it has really been kicking my behind. Thanks for hanging in there with me....:)

I can't remember ever seeing cd burning causing an over heat. You could monitor temps while burning. I have often seen drivers cause a spontaneous reboot, particularly audio and video drivers. Also try burning a regular cdr, and try "simulated" burning. Try a burn at 8X speed. Any firmware upgrades for your burner?

Dust had collected on my heat sink and fan. I am not sure if that was the problem, but it has shutdown before on thermal protection. Also, I think the one nag message was due to a bad disk.
    I was able to encode and burn the VCD last night, and it played in my DVD player..:) Hopefully, this is progress.
    I am not quite ready to celebrate yet, because this problem comes and goes. I have been able to burn fine for a week, only to have it re-occur a week later. I am going to try it again later. I will post the results. Thanks again for hanging in there with me.....:)

Bigjack,
    I have now been able to burn TWO Vide CD's without a problem. I thought the last one was going to give me the old problem (cause it hung at 5% burn, which is the end of the lead-in track) but it kicked in and finished just fine. I will continue to watch it though. Thanks again.

Yeah, if you had a dust buildup on your heatsink and removing it fixed your problems, your CPU was likely overheating while preparing to burn, when its getting heavy usage. Than when it didn't cool down in time, even though the CPU isn't heavily used while actually burning the CD, it shut down due to the thermal protection.

I believe you are right, but it has refused to burn before when there was no overheating issue.
    Apparantly, the advice I got from BJ (about DMA) must have helped, because I have had no issues since then. TRhe DMA channel was set wrong on the CDRom, not the burner, but the problem has not resurfaced. I guess it is one of those things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information