Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THICKO!! needing Help Probs with my K7S5A??

Here's the important part for you to check on with your PSU.
    [b]
    Look into the AMD Recommended/Approved list of PSU and choose the brand that is available in your locality. Choose at least three different brands, and also if possible for two different watt ratings. The minimum is 300W but the desirable is 350W. When shopping always check for the total combine output (TCO) of the +3.3V and +5.0V rails. If you are using a 1.2 Ghz or less CPU you should be looking for a minimum of 180W TCO on the +3.3V and +5.0V rails. Or you should be looking for a minimum of 220W TCO if your CPU is 1.33 Ghz or higher. A note on Athlon XP CPU is that they consume less power compare to the old Athlon Thunderbirds by an average of 15%- 20%. Lower rated Athlon XP 1500+ and 1600+ and sometimes 1700+ have been reported to operate properly with 300W PSU with total TCO of 180W. Why look for two different watt rating? This is to make a comparison of the price. Usually, a 350W PSU of one brand can be purchased at the same price as a 300W of another brand. Or maybe with the price difference between the 300W and 350W
    Sorry but maybe this will better explain better.
    Somewhere on your PSU that will tell you details of Manufacturer, model and also the ratings of several votlage rails plus may also have an "Athlon Approved" stick on it. The 1st page here will tell you why need all the details. Then click on the link in the quote to you to AMD's recommended PSU page and see if it's there and if it is check the "Power Combined" column to see if produces a minimum of 180w (that what values in that column) and if it don't then this could be a lot of your problem. You maybe on the approved list but the PSU can only put out 165w, which was what the prob here turned out to be and things gradually got worse in a couple of weeks after 6 months of trouble free use.

P.S. You may even have to take the PSU out of the case enough if the sticker is on top of it and the top panel of the case is blocking your veiw of it. If you don't feel up to that part then find someone who can do it for you.

Ok first of apologies for the copy postings on the other forums. New to this so wasnt aware about that and just looking for others views given what Wiggo said about others having more experience, no offence meant ;O)

Anyway I'll have a look at the PSU and get back to you, but not holding my breath!!. I cant understand why it would be this all of a sudden when the computers been working fine for months now since I got it but hey I aint no expert and take what you say on board so will try anything if its gonna help. If my 300w is not of use should I buy a 350 or 400 and would that solve the problem ?

Oh and for your info I changed the 4x to 2x in the BIOS and it didnt make a bit of difference so have changed it back.

Cheers for now and keep up the good work

Well the one here ran for 6 months here without a problem with agresive settings the all of a sudden it was corrupting data on the hard drive then found that after running some memory loop tests that when I underclocked the CPU down to a 100MHz front bus that it was running agian with no probs so knowing that OCWorkbench had a forum dedicated to this board I was amazed at the number of probs just related to the PSU so I checked the 1 that was in it and found the Total Combined rating on it was only 165w which is 15w below that recommended so I got a 420w Topower PSU which carries a 220w TC.
    There are also a few probs associated with BIOS flashes among a few other things so it would probably pay you to spend sometime there to get to know that board better and it has a big following over there and lots of ppl that know all the probs and how to fix them. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

:confused:
    Ok I did what you said and opened the box up!!! Understood some of what was said but not all, so heres what I found out and can you tell me if this is ok.

Can't find a makers name on the PSU anywhere been all around the unit.

The following is printed on a large sticker on the side however -
    8850 Power - 31 Model LC-300ATX

Input - 115v-7A 230v-4A 50/60Hz

Output -
    +3.3v 14A Orange (46.2)
    +5v 25A Red (125)
    +12v 10A Yellow (120)
    +5VSB 1A Purple (5)
    -5v .5A White (2.5)
    -12v .5A Blue (6)
    PS on Green
    P.G. Grey

BSE-0109717LC PO02X

I have put what I calculate to be the W figures according to the equation listed in brackets. As far as I see the total comes to 304.7W which I found strange given that its only meant to be 300W!!! However I saw there's something about fluctuating power figures etc. The total for the +3.3 and +5 trails I get as (171.2W). I am running a 1200 AMD Athalon MX processor so is this sufficient or could this be my problem.

On that note, if it was the PSU wouldn't that mean its more eratic as to when the computer crashes. whereas I find that whilst it can crash without warning on occasion, there are certain programmes like Ret to Castle Wolfenstein and Buzz Lightyear 3D Adventure where it can be gauranteed to crash within minutes if not immediately. Given this is that not more likely then to be a driver/software problem or could this be its because these programmes need the card to work harder and as such drain power causing it to fail??

Any views ? and I know I keep saying it but thanks for spending the time trying to assist me :O)

oh one other thing, you mention a forum dedicated to the mobo, can you tell me where this is, I cant locate it ?

Yeah its only rated to 170w TC and as they didn't put their name to it maybe an optumistic rating so try underclocking the CPU to 100/133 in the BIOS or downloading Memtest86 and unpack it to a floppy disk then restart the PC and run the test to see if the basic system is causing errors then lower the speeds of memory and CPU if you are till they disappear is a good indication of the PSU not being good enough if errors are being caused. :smokin:

Well I downloaded Memtest and ran it through at least 3 times for the whole 11 tests and it came up no errors each time. So I think the memory is ok if I've done it all right!! Way over my head I have to say but it seemed to do everything pretty much itself.

So I also tried changed the CPU to 100/133 as you suggested but I dont think its made any difference. What does that do anyway, is that reducing the power and capabilities of my CPU ?

I'm still getting that error status as showing critical all the time in the System Drivers - System tools window (see prev notes for full title) Is this essential and could this be the cause of my problems, it seems to relate to the boot up system??:?:

The underclocking of the processor just reduces the power load on the system if power was a prob that would show it.
    But I think that you may get better help at the OCWorkbench Forum that's dedicated to this board. :smokin:

:snip:
    Right I've just about had enough of this crappy computer, nothing I'm doing is helping my problem.

I took your advice having tried all the other things you told me before hand and bought a new PSU. I bought a Tsunami 400w psu, which is AMD approved and has a TPO of 254.2 so tons of room there.

Well guess what, made no difference and the same games crash !! arrrrrrrgh. As before it keeps coming up that its a driver problem failing to complete a drawing operation but when you check everything its ok, DX Diag tests are spot on. I cannot see it showing as conflicting with anything and I've tried new old, re-downloaded etc drivers for everything from the AGP, NvVidia and Audio card drivers.

I re-formatted the whole thing AGAIN (thats 11 at the last count) made sure I deleted the primary partition, formatted, created new partition using XP NTSC file system, formatted, re-installed XP Pro, installed AGP driver, SIS Audio driver, NVidia detenator driver and ...........crash. As usual most things works no problem but some just wont play that used to before.

The PnP ISA/EISA Bus driver file on system info still shows as critical but I dont see what I can do about that, its the only one that shows as such. As for conflict, I see the G/card is on I/O5 along with the AGP and PnP USB hub driver.

Anyway am off to sulk now :o(( if you can think of anything else give me a bell thanks.!!
    :cry:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information