Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VIA 133A / AGP 2x to 4x issues

Your right... Time to dive right in...

I think I discovered another problem in the bios. It has the type of video card as a PCI card and not AGP. I believe the ATI Radeon VE is AGP but it's one of those things where I have to pop the door and look to make sure.

I've been inside hundreds of times and replaced CDRW's, Firewires HD's and Memory but I can't remember where the card is plugged into. doh!

I don't mess with the bios setting usually and this is a replacement motherboard from my original. The switch went out on the old one a while back...

I'm getting ready to put in a new CDRW drive today so will check things out when I'm in there.

If the card is AGP I will change the bios setting and see what that does.. Then update the 4 in 1's.

Wish me luck!

Ok,
    I changed my primary graphics card to AGP in the Bios without incident. I've installed 2 of the three Via 4 in 1 drivers. I'm still unable to update the Via Standard CPU to PCI Bridge even after trying all the hints in the other forum thread. It remains as a Microsoft driver.

My bios is also set to

PnP Aware OS---->NO

Should I change that to yes?

After setting all of this do you think it will be safe to try and install the ATI drivers for my Radeon VE card?

You can try PnP Aware OS on yes but if you have any probs just change it back (as ya have XP now I'd leave it alone).

I'm not sure why ya havin' probs gettin' that other driver in but you should be safe enough to install the Radeon though. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Okedokie,

I'll leave the bios alone...it seems to know it's a pvp aware os all on it's own.

I'll give the Radeon drivers a try later on tonight...*gulp*

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!

Just remember to change your video card back to a standard PCI VGA adaptor in XP 1st if it isn't already. ;)

hmm??

Wiggo,
    I don't understand your last post. Can you explain?

You mean I have to change my settings in XP back to standard 640x480 prior to installing the new drivers?

I'm confused :?:

I have my card selected as an AGP card in the bios now and everything ran ok..

However, I tried to update the drivers to the new Radeon Catalyst and came up to a black screen again. The only way back to my desktop was to "revert to last known good configuration"..

Guess I'm stuck with the drivers supplied by XP and no Open GL?

I'll check back here before I do anything else, and Wiggo, thanks for holding my hand through this!!

Under your display properties, under adapator, there's a change button if the card is listed as something else other than a standard PCI VGA adapter, so click that and select "display all drivers so you can select the one you want" and select standard PCI VGA adapter if it's not already and then restart. Windows should pick up your card again and ask for drivers for it (if it doesn't just load them with their setup.exe and don't worry about the BIOS now). ;)

ahh ok.. will give that a try, I'm very doubtful that it's gonna work after choosing "update driver" pointing it to the new ones and booting up to a black screen again...

But I'm up for one more try.

If Windows had another driver in use other than the standard VGA one then what happened to you is fairly standard. If it happens again just check to see if any other drivers are available for that card. ;)

I've pm'd ya Wiggo...

The only choice I have for that would be to rollback the drivers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information