Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Updating 4 in 1 problem

Persian, I'm getting closer. I've manually pointed windows to the bia busmaster ide controller - no problem. But I cannot locate the via cpu to pci bridge driver - where is it and what does it look like? I checked every folder and file, but no luck. Can you tell me where it is in the "unzipped" batch of folders and files?

I can't recall which folder it's in. Try using the "install the software automatically" option and let windows find the new driver wherever it lies. If that doesn't work and you've pointed your system to each and every folder then I'm out of ideas.

Personally when I chose the "install the software automatically" it found the newer version and installed it.

I'm having the same exact problem today.
    I've gotten the Via Bus Mastering IDE Controller and the Via CPU to AGP Controller updated but I cannot get the

Via Standard CPU to PCI Bridge updated even after pointing to all the folders in the unzipped exe file. It's staying as a Microsoft driver.

Any ideas?

Well, at least I got the two updated. Now I wonder if it's safe to install My ATI Radeon VE drivers instead of running the XP native one.

Yeah, I don't think that driver exists in any of the folders. I wonder where you can get it from??

I've also tried burning all the files to a CD, then having it search removable media. It still didn't find the driver for the CPU to PCI bridge

HAHA!:laugh: Got it
    Pick "install from a list" then
    Pick "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install"
    Pick Via Tech Cpu to Pci Bridge then click have disk
    the cpu to pci bridge driver is in the inf\winxp folder

Geesh and I had it search there too..

It worked!!!

Thanks for letting us know!

Still can't find it! In the inf/winxp folder, I have two files listed. The first is listed as "viamach" and it states it is a security catalog file and is 10kb in size. The second is listed as "viamach" and it states it is a setup information file and is 6 kb in size.

I point specifically to these files, but still does not install. I don't think either of these files is a driver file anyway. WHAT is going on?? Please help!

After choosing to update the Via Tech standard CPU to PCI bridge I selected "have disk" I pointed it to the inf/xp directory and it installed the driver.

Like you I didn't think it was a correct file but it worked, and updated my drivers to the Via 8/01/2001 .170 version.

Well, I finally was able to install SOMETHING, but not sure if it's correct. I copied the inf/winxp files to floppy, and then used the "have disk" option to point windows to the winxp folder on the floppy where this "driver" supposedly is. I installed it (after reading a message that it is not signed, blah blah blah), and then chose not to restart since I wanted to look at the properties first. Opened up properties and where it used to say "via tech cpu to pci" it now had one of those exclamation point warnings and it was now listed as "via cpu to agp" ??? Rather than restart, I "rolled back to previous driver" and now I'm back to the microsoft 7/1/2001 driver, no exclamation point, and listed as via tech cpu to pci again. I don't know what's going on, but I don't think I wanna screw up my computer, not knowing what I'm doing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information