Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ps2 sucks + playstation defense

ps2 sucks, it is outdated and the games are all so similar

look at mgs2 compared to splinter cell or thief and tell me that the "stealth" is great, i mean, you hide in a box for ****s sake, what sort of stealth is that.

pc is the best gaming platform, and xbox is based on pc architexture, thus making it the best console

they may not have as many games, but its quality not quantity

Thanks for the info..
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Beefy Guest

so you're basing your argument on the fact that he hides in a box, and that it is 'outdated'? anything else you want to simply spout out with out thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by albatraous
    ps2 sucks, it is outdated and the games are all so similar

So GTA Vice City is outdated because its setting is in the 80's?

FFX must be outdated too....

Gran Turismo is outdated as well isn't it...

MGS got rated by reviewers as one of the best games out there because it was outdated ...and because the box was cardboard not the new poly urthene stuff...

You are so right...:thumb: Wanna add him to he list Beefy?
    - Damien

Beefy Guest

Good idea Flaco. Closing thread as it's not gonna go anywhere.

Personally im a playstation (and playstation2) fan, and i take a lot of crap as far as comparisons go across platforms, but if you really think about it.... there hasnt been any groundbreaking new games for any console or even the pc goes.... The market is based on what the consumer likes, thus creating a overabundance of a certian type of game. What im trying to say is, all of the games, for every platform have tons of rip offs, because its a quick buck, and as far as outdated goes, well if you take a look at the first couple of years the first playstation was on the market, the graphics and gameplay werent much better than that of a super nintendo..... there just wasnt the technology available at the time or if there was the technology, it was too expensive to create games that actually used the capabilities of the system. Also, i think the fact that the PS2 can play a DVD without the help of an add-on right from the begining is a plus. And the design of the PS2 controller wins by a long shot as compared to the (not -s) xbox controller as far as comfort and effort exerted to reach every button in succession goes. And the availability, and ammount of RPG (current favorite) games available far surpasses either of the 2 other high end consoles.
    (and i spend 90% of my day in college as a computer major, sitting in front of a PC, i cant stand the thought of spending more of my time on the keyboard..... for fun.

Now i wont deny that the MS system is pretty sweet, i.e. better support for networking, a couple of alright (not origional as explained before) games. But like i said before, the initial US controller, the super massive size of the controllers and the system, extra weight, and smaller game base, detract me from getting one. Plus I can play most of my PSX titles on the PS2.

ps2 is outdated though, the power isn't as good as the pc or xbox, and the only hold they have on the market is that you can play old ps1 games on it

as for you saying that there aren't any new game ideas on any console look at:

deus ex (pc)
    halo (xbox)
    ut2k3 (pc)
    blinx(xbox)
    thief (pc)
    age of empires (pc)
    half life & counter strike (pc)

that is just a handful of games that have at least one new way of playing games, and you have to just look at:

doom 3 (pc)
    unreal 2(pc)
    steel battelion (xbox)
    halo2 (xbox)

to see the games that are going to push not only graphics and sound forward, but gameplay too.

next time think bebore you speak, and just because you love ps2 doesn't mean others can't be good. I think the gamecube is great, but it doesn't work for me, i respect how good it is though. ps2 owners are always slagging off xbox and pc, when the pc is the original gaming platform and the future platform.

think about it, xbox & ps2 are going for 'online games', when pc has had this ability for years. another revalution dont ya think?

And as for beefy closing my thread down, it is obvious that he isn't using this forum to allow people to express ideas and opinions, but to destroy them.

my comment about the crap 'stealth' of hiding in a box was ONE of the things i can't stand mgs2 for, not the only reason.

thanks for listening

:flames: Albatraous:flames:

Beefy Guest

OK, that's it... The reason I closed down the other thread is because you were the one who seemed to be a fan boy. But obviously you've come back for some more.

Obviously everything I say is going to be 'tainted' by my opinion, so you'll just use your lame excuse of calling me a fanboy or whatnot, but I don't really care.

The PS2 is in no way different to the two other consoles. All gaming platforms (including PC) all have their ups and downs. Over the years, apart from PCs, I've owned 8 different consoles. I've enjoyed them all thoroughly for different reasons.

I took note of your lists, and I say you are a hypocrite. You are saying all these games have new ideas, yet you are basically giving us two gaming genres - Real Time Strategy games and FPS games (forgive me, I don't know what Blinx is, so I could have missed one). Sure, they are all slightly modified, but they all, in essence, follow the same theme.

Deus Ex - Run around, shoot things, solve the odd puzzle, use some skills.
    Halo - Run around, shoot things, use a couple fancy in game features.
    UT2k3 - Run around, shoot things,
    Thief - as Deus Ex
    Age of Empires - Build stuff, kill the enemy
    HL / CS - As UT2K3

You mention Doom 3 as a new thing. Aside from the fact that it's still probably a year into the future (where you current PC will be extinct), what's so special about it? Games continually push graphics harder and further. Developers learn how to use what they have better than before. Obviously though, you wouldn't be paying attention to any of this happening on consoles though.

Again, you only really gave us two genres before, RTS and FPS. So I ask you - What about Fighting games? Racing Games? Puzzle Games? Party Games? Where are these? I can't say I see many of them on PC. The last reasonable fighter I remember on PC was Mortal Kombat 3, and that was a long time ago. Now we have games like Tekken 4, Dead or Alive 2, even a brand new, fully 3D Mortal Kombat on the way. I could easily go on for the other types I mentioned, but it's not worth it.

Game ports between systems - it happens. Usually one system will be better than the other. Simple question: Which system would you prefer to play Grand Theft Auto on? The majority of people I know, that have played both, prefered it on PS2. Why? Sure, the PC version looked the same, you could put in your own music, do whatever. But it was the feel of the console that people enjoyed. Just sitting down in front of the TV and going for it. That is the main reason that Rockstar only released the 'sequel', GTA - Vice City, on PS2. Because it had a better target audience.

That reminds me. I'd like to jump back to my previous rant about genres. One of the main reasons I purchased a PS2, aside from the backward compatibility, the built in DVD player and future internet use, is the fact that it has the BEST assortment of role playing games. Ever. There is simply no doubting that. Sony, since the PS1, have been amazing with the quality of RPGs they have produced for that system. And it shows. After 4 Final Fantasy games for PS / PS2 (with 3 more already on the way), 3 releases of Suikoden, 2 Wild Arms, 2 Vandal Hearts... the list goes on.. it shows that there is a huge following for it, and it is the system to do it on.

But all I've been ranting about is the PS systems. What about the others? I'll easily grant you the fact that a PC has more functionality than a console. It's made for the internet. It's made for multiplayer games. It's made for games that use first person perspective (due to a mouse / keyboard and many assorted peripherals). I'm not gonna deny any of that. I just don't think people who consider themselves gamers should shun any one system.

How about some other examples? Nintendo. They would have to be the best brand name for games aimed at younger people (and now the not so younger people). Games like the early Marios, the Donkey Kongs, the Starfoxes, the Mario Party's.... these were all a big hit. Why? Many reasons.. They appealed to all, as anyone could play these. They weren't overly easy, but they didn't confuse and bewilder players. The themes were well suited to kids (Pokemon anyone?), usually a great start to a merchandising sellout...

How about Microsoft's entry with the X-Box? Oh, it must be good. It's got better specs than any other console! It has X-Box Live (where supported). It's Microsoft! It's got Halo! ... If it's such a damn good console, then tell me why Microsoft were considering pulling out of the Australian market. The figures for console buyers in this country will surprise you. More people have purchased a PS2 than Gamecubes and X-Boxes put together. As far as I know (I could be wrong), even Gamecubes have outsold X-Boxes. But I'm not here to put them down either. They are a good console. Theoretically, they do perform better. But it's the history of Sony and Nintendo that are going to help them stay on top of MS.

So stop it with this crap that it's an outdated system. Being 'outdated' has nothing to do with it. If so, then why are Game Boy Advances so damn popular? All they seem to be are portable Super Nintendos....

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by albatraous

my comment about the crap 'stealth' of hiding in a box was ONE of the things i can't stand mgs2 for, not the only reason.
    Oh, how did I miss this? You are picking on a game because of a little fault like this? Now that's just petty. It's like saying you didn't like Mario because the pipes were green.

And again, it comes back to what you were saying. The games you listed all fall into general categories, with some falling a bit further from the tree than others. MGS is just doing more of the same. It probably branches out further than many, due to all sorts of little features and idiosyncrasies that make it what it is. Games these days need little features like that to make them stand out in the crowd. To make them different. Sure, they could have not included it and just made people hide normally, but putting it in adds character to the game... While you obviously weren't impressed, many people were, and will remember things like this and add to their overall impression of the game.

yah, what beefy said was what i was attempting to put across within my half hour break between classes. And the whole thing with no new ideas, was that the general formula for what the gamer market responds to as far as a plot, is extremely over exploited and although graphics and sound, gameplay, blah, blah, will get better, and small changes in the beginning of a story will drastically change the ending and characters will add their own touches to stories....... im speaking in terms of games that have story lines.... (i mean theres not much you can change other than graphics and whatnot in reality sports games, where set rules and the laws of physics reign.)
    And types of games which were discussed earlier, have a huge market so the companies exploit them more.
    (if more people liked trying to press a button as soon as a white square blinked on the screen than first person shooters, we would have very few, if any new first person shooters, with an over abundance of games that had you press a button (with each game maybe having its own button) and maybe the flashing white square would sometimes be red, or instead of a square.... it was an oval.......)
    I also agree with the statement that no platform should or really can be compared with another one, as each system has its own targeted audience (xbox and budweiser are working together to put xbox's in bars for people to play, nintendo being cheaper, with the average game developed for it having characters with over-exagerated emotions and bubbly appearances, have targeted younger audiences..... sony on the other hand has grasped the mid teens to mid twenties audience with its large base of RPG games, or games that have somewhat more lifelike appearances, more developed story lines (not always), and charactors usually in the relative age group and mind state as thayt audience.) also, even the s verson of the xbox controller would not work well for a younger child, the gamecube has taken on a playstation-like controller, with a design that would suit the general 'feel' of a childs play area. while xbox and playstation have more (entertainment system- looking) designs.
    Have no doubt, although i do not own an X-box, i do play my friends on a regular basis and enjoy it. But its lack of RPG game base which is 90% of my game purchases made the xbox economically not feasable at the moment for me, as my general funding goes toward college, RPG's, and pc hardware. And um one other thing just to protect myself from some anal retentive a** who doesnt realize that a targeted audience is not the entire audience. I know there are people who do not fit in the targeted audience that have, or love their system, and defy all bounds, and i dont have anything against them or their system. I just wrote the post to ensure however many people that read it, understand that any of the systems will probably make them happy, as there is at least one of each game type for all of the systems respectively, but when they decide they really like their system. They can have enough respect for other gamers with a different taste for games. Essentially, pull your head out of your butt far enough to realize that the rest of the world is not exactly like you, and if they were, youd prolly get pretty pissed, cuz every game you wanted would be out of stock cuz someone else richer than you would have bought it...... and im pretty sure that there are many people richer than all of us (at least me).
    So uh.... now that im done offending tons of new owners of a console or pc..... although quite violent..... anything stated previous was in no way meant to offend anyone.... just..... better understood by my targeted audience............ :thumb:

if all else fails, quote Groucho Marx
    "Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know. " :cheers:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information