Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: quiet and cheap

Looking for a quiet cooler for an Athlon 2500. Reviews on newegg say the CoolerMasteer DP5-7JD1B is quiet+good and pretty cheap at $17. Recommendations on this fan or another?

-Thomas

If ya case doesn't have some reasonable airflow then ya goin' to have probs keepin' ya cool with the DP5-7JD1B as it's not much better than a retail HSF (just a slightly bigger fan really) and a Volcano 7+ would likely perform better (if not the same as) with it's fan set at low speed and wipe the floor with it at medium speed for very little addition in noise (high speed is not necessary as my XP2600+ with a Vcore of 1.74volts and clocked at 2.26GHz rarely gets over 40C under full load on medium speed) so don't be put off by the XP2600+ ratin' that it's given plus ya can get it for not a great deal more than the CoolerMaster.

I donīt know how much this costs where you live, but the Thermalright SK-7 is very good full copper heatsink and you can use any 60, 70 or 80mm fan on it! :thumb: :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    If ya case doesn't have some reasonable airflow then ya goin' to have probs keepin' ya cool with the DP5-7JD1B as it's not much better than a retail HSF (just a slightly bigger fan really) and a Volcano 7+ would likely perform better (if not the same as) with it's fan set at low speed and wipe the floor with it at medium speed for very little addition in noise (high speed is not necessary as my XP2600+ with a Vcore of 1.74volts and clocked at 2.26GHz rarely gets over 40C under full load on medium speed) so don't be put off by the XP2600+ ratin' that it's given plus ya can get it for not a great deal more than the CoolerMaster.
    I would have to agree with Wiggo ...go with the Volcano 7+..all cooper and three speed. At medium its not a big deal at all...and this way you won't have to underclock and you will be able to maintain the original clock you paid for. By the way...buy yourself some Artic Silver 3 it goes real nice with the Volcano 7+.:)
    - Damien

Thanks for the reco's. I wound up getting a GlacialTech Igloo 2500Pro. Cheap, decent cooling performance, and quiet. In retrospect however, given the 3000dB jet engine turbofans on the case, I should've spent another $10 or so for the Volcano 7+. So I saved a few pennies for nothing: the damn system is so loud I'm thinking seriously about building an enclosure for it (I know, then I've got to figure out how to cool that). Live and learn :).

-Thomas
    Barton 2500+
    Epox 8RDA+
    2x Apacer 256MB PC3200
    Igloo 2500Pro
    Radeon 7500 64MB (not a gaming machine)
    O/C: 220FSB, 10.5 CPU multiplier

Thread Information