Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GPU Cooling - need rec's

My Saphire Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb has had a slight overheating problem since I got the card, about 6mo's ago. It's been getting more frequent as the weather gets warmer, though, so I'm looking for an upgraded cooling solution for it. I've checked out the passive heatpipes, but their only advantage seems to be no noise. Havn't seen any reviews for the Thermaltake Giant II yet, or another available heatpipe w/fan. So, this leaves me with the following options, or anything you people could suggest.

Vantec Iceberq 4 Premium - Copper/6k rpm/5.9cfm
    Vantec Iceberq - Copper/5k rpm/3.5cfm
    Thermaltake Crystal Orb - Copper/5.5k rpm/12.4cfm

and, altho its not technically a GPU cooler... dont know if I'll have room for it, though
    GlobalWIN CAF12 - 2.5k rpm/74.5cfm
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

Cyrstal Orbs work well but if ya video card is overheating it's more likely to be caused by poor airflow within' ya case (do you have a side intake fan over ya AGP/PCI cards?).

no side intake... thats what the CAF12 would be for, but I don't think I have the side-clearance needed for it, so I'd have to cut in a blowhole... I've been meaning to put a window into it tho, but I'm not very handy with cutting tools, so I've been avoiding it... hehe
    I've got relatively good airflow, cables are all tied down and I use rounded ones where applicable, with no additional PCI cards.. but my mobo has a ton of pci-slot expansions (usb/audio/firewire), which impede it a *bit*...
    I might try a Crystal Orb first as a temp solution, and see how that works, I'd like to add the CAF12 regardless
    Also, am I going to need a ton of AS3 on the GPU? I've read they're concave, but I know from CPU experience that too much can be a bad thing.. whats the best method to make sure there's enough? just goop a ton on, and hope it squishes out the excess without impeding the heat transfer?
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

I'm going to order a crsytal orb too, do it need AS3???

I've tried the chrome orb and blue orb from tt. They perform similar. I think the nickel plating may impede the heat absorbsion and disipation, canceling the advantage of copper. Also the grille on the chrome orb may obstruct airflow. I sold the chrome orb to get 2 more blueorbs for the other machines.

Blue orbs are almost half the price, and a.s. ceramique is 1/3 the price with performance that matches as3 and doesnt conduct.=same cooling for way cheaper
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w