Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal??? Pls respond.

Hello, i just recently built my first computer.

2.4c p4 with artic silver 3 + heatsink came with cpu
    gigabyte p4 ga-8lk1100
    2x256 geil pc3200 ddr
    old radeon pci g card
    and a enermax cs-10182-ba case (7 fans)

Anyways, ive been using the program that came wiht mobo (easy tune 4)to whatch temp. (also have mbm shows same temp's) , since its first cpu ive had that could get "hot" (last one was 600mhz celeron).

SO, i d/l prime 95 to bench and stress test it, its been 3-4 days since i put comp together runs perfect. It does its little benchamrk test for about 1-2 min's i check temp and its at 66C??!!!! so i stop test, not wantin to leave it on 24/7 like they say too. I find that pretty damn hot to me? am i right? Normaly it runs at 42-43 idle and 53+ when i play counter-strike.

This is a huge range i think, any info about anything relating to is this normal, how i can fix, would be helpful. I dont have a job right now but can spare some money for fan's or maybe better heatsink. What should i dO???

I wanted to OC this thing to atleast 3.0 (succesfluly did to 2.7 for a day but then went back to run some stress test like this one).

HELP HELP THANK U IN ADVANCE FOR ADVICE!

I would guess that your fan placement and configuration may contribute to the problem. I have succesfully cooled a mid-tower case with the same cpu with only 2 80mm case fans, 1 on the side and one on top. A 7 fan setup could leave dead air spaces if not set up properly.

:eek: 66 Celsius is WAAAAAY to hot for a CPU to be running. Either your mobo is reporting it wrong, or your HSF isn't the greatest in the world... My recomendation is searching Directron or Newegg for a nice HSF for your setup. Make sure to use Arctic Silver 3 thermal compound on the cpu, to allow it to dissapate heat better :thumb:

EDIT: If it is your motherboard, the manufacter might have a BIOS update to fix this problem. I pretty much *ALWAYS* suggest downloading the latest BIOS from the motherboard manufacter in order to be up to date with the most fixes, and even added speed/stabability. :bounce:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

how do you have your fans set up? If you dont have them setup properly the hsf might not be getting enough cool air. how are the temps when you take the side door off?

how much thermal goop did you put on? it only take a small amount...too much can cause it to get hot too

you may also what to look at getting a new hsf
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Don't worry to much as the CPU will throttle itself back at the mid 70C mark to prevent harm but as it's a UNEEC case and if it's fitted with those high cfm fans (I don't know the ratin' of them but if 50-80cfm then change them for 34cfm fans) though several others have complained about the temps on these 800QDR chips and it just maybe something that ya'll have to get use to.

Ok, my case is this one The Black One and has fan setup like pictures show. They dont seem very poweful to me, espical the top exhaust one. 2 on side seem good, but to intakes on front are blocked by some metal and hard drives partially, like in picture.

I got newest bios update day before yestereday.

Using mother board monitor (the program) and its page. my temps/fans are like this
    while im typing this . . .
    cpu=45c
    case=25c (ive had side panel of case off for about 3 min's and hasnt changed.)

Cpu Fan=1350rpm
    1xSide Fan=2678rpm >
    1xBack Fan=1288rpm > I hooked them up to mobo. (there was a spot to hook them up to so i did, not sure the point except to monitor them???)

I did everythig artic silver site said to do, even used the beebe size amount and spread it out. About this, i went to get the rubbing alchol and they sold me some "pure alchol" which ingredients say 90% ethyl alco, 3.8% methy isobutly ketone, and 1% of kerosene/gasoline. Would those extra ingredients matter when i cleaned hs + cpu with it????

I think that i should either get a better fan, like a vantec tornado? or defiantly better heatsink, (for some reason one i have dosnt even have copper bottom, even thoguh pictures of the 3.0ghz p4's do, guess 2.4's dont come with em) If yall sugest better fan, i dont care about noise, since i got headphones, as long as it keeps stuff cooler.

If best option is better heatsink i got like $50 and would spend all of it if it would gurentee lower temps..

I got round cables and everything, and try to keep cables off to side, when i stick my hand in case, i feel good air movement and its cooler in there then my room (p.s. my room gets really hot sometimes cuase im on 2nd floor and attic has no insolation hardly *old house)
    My cpu does get a few degrees hotter on hot day's noticably.

Ive been using the mother board software and mbm to whatch cpu, right now mbm says its 45c, and mobo software says 43, they both say same on fan's rpm.
    Thanks for advice. Any more? what should i buy..?

Have a look at one of these 3 HSF's then.

If best option is better heatsink i got like and would spend all of it if it would gurentee lower temps..
    I doubt that a new hsf will help you. Intels stock coolers are pretty decent and you don't need more as long as you don't do some more serious oc. It should be able to cool the cpu down to about 40c depending on the current room temp.

Instead I suggest you remove your hsf and remount it again. Make sure to use a REALLY thin layer of the Artic Silver compound, you only need a small small amount. To mutch compound can cause bubbles of air and prevent the heat from transfering properly between your cpu & heatsink..

If it still don't get any cooler then it can be your air flow through the case, however this is less likely since 66c is to hot to be caused by a bad case flow. I can run my P4 without any system cooling at all and still just obtain around 48-50 max..

Just no fun if you spend $$$ on a new hsf just to discover that it still runs hot.. :(

:cheers:

The top thermaltake looks good, but i cant find it for sell anywhere..

A1715 P4 Spark 7+

Also. how much credit should i give the guy who gave the review about the other spark heatsink on newegg here ?

Ok, ill remount heatsink and re appply artic silver 3, and use even less. Then report back.

The Spark 7 is working out great for me :thumb: I have it hooked up to my rheobus, and i can leave the fan spinning at the lowest possible setting and never have temps go over 40C, with the fan going full blast it doesnt get higher than 36C at full load (note room temp ~22C) I would highly recommend this hsf, especially if noise is not an issue :thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information