Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Fan Guards are there for a reason...

Was cleaning the inside of my computer last night with some compressed air (sides are off it right now, and it tends to collect everything from chips to small rodents), i moved a wire, a loop caught the tip of my Volcano9's blade, and the bloody thing disintegrated...i mean, there was one blade left attached to the motor, and I could barely see any remains from the other blades... the computer also didnt immediately shut off, so I shut it down normally, took about 20 seconds... not good
    so now I get to pull my Volcano6cu off another system until I can order a replacement SmartFan2... and I still havn't received my Crystal Orb, duct mod, et al... *sigh*, not a good week for my computers
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

Yea, the thermal take fans seem to be fragile. I have a friend who got a Volcano 7 and within an hour of purchasing it, he was arranging cables, and his finger brushed against a blade, and 'disintegrated' is a good word... heh.

But yea, in general its not a good idea to be messing with stuff inside a computer while its on.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Lucky it was the fan blades and not your finger! I heard a lot of stories of chainsaw massacre's, or rather fan blade finger massacres :)... Hey it could be worse :D
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

when will people learn not to play with the guts when it's on...
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

5. Default

so why were you cleaning it while it was on?

were you talking to some irresistably hot chicks?...if so thats the only reason i could think of to leave a computer on while cleaning it.
    GBRRICCI

I run a rather busy FTP, and people tend to get mad at me when my comp's off.. also, isn't it just plain sacriligious to actually manually turn it off, aside to install new hardware? power outage longer than 45mins (900va UPS), it goes off, its regrettable but it could happen... but to turn it off for no good reason.. tsk :b

and yeah, it was stupid to be tinkering inside while it was on, but its a bad habit of mine.. hell, I remember touching the exposed points on my old 386's vidcard, just to watch the screen go neon-plaid.. until i fried the vidcard, after a few weeks of doing that...

anyway, got an 80mm POS casefan on my Volcano9 hs, temps are up about 10C to idle ~42C, and I'm not impressed.. but it'll do for now
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

7. Default

damn, so no hot chicks? that sucks. sounds like a beast of a server.
    GBRRICCI

a hot chick *was* involved, but I wasn't talking to her on the computer... was supposed to meet her at the bar in 30mins, so I pulled out the mobo of a repair job I was doing, and to kill a few mins I took a can of air to my main comp... I was in a hyper mood, and not really paying attention to what I was doing... damned women and the things they can unwittingly do to your head.. *sigh*

but thats alright.. i accidentally ended up breaking her collarbone later last night.. thought it was just a dislocated shoulder (yeah, we got a tad rough.. oops), but she went to the hospital today, and sure enough its a bad break in her collarbone.. *sigh* again

now, I have a dozen roses and a bottle of good wine coming out of my comp-fan-fund...

:steam:
    -----

/Z

Thread Information