Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: freezing computer

something to think about if you have an old freezer you are planning on using is consider water cooling and place your radiator and pump, etc... in the freezer. Seal it and run the hose to the inside of the computer. That would work out great

you know i was thinking about that to i thik the water cooling would be safer then throwing the whole thing in the freezer.

deffently some thing to thik about
    <font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >
    New Computer

Athlon xp 1700+
    Asus A7A266
    256 DDR
    ATI ravion VE 32mb DDR
    philips psc602 sound card
    Maxtor 7200 rpm 40 gig HD
    LG 8x4x32x
    Windows XP pro 2600 build

2 new computers exactly the same

E-machines T2200+
    2200+ athlone
    512DDR
    100gig HDD
    built in vid card
    built in sound card
    10/100 networkcard
    56k modem
    6x usb
    3x 1394ports
    16Xdvd
    40x cdrw
    19" moniters
    windows home

connected with

linksys etherFast cable / dsl roughter
    model # BEFSR41

printer/fax/copier connected to computer #1

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    I disagree RDR....

We are assuming you aren't using the freezer for Food. That means that no additional foreign objects enter the freezer and are allowed to sit and cool (evaporate liquid) which is the cause of your sentance "frost would form on the components just like everything else in the freezer"

Think about this RDR... What happens to the humity during winter up by you in Canada...? Even if its 100% humidity on a cold day, there still is almost NO WATER in the air (comparted to a humid summer day) Do you see what I'm saying? If on a 100% humidity summer day there is a gallon of water in X amount of volume of air, in that same volume of air on a cold day when it is determined to be 100% humidity, there may only be a DROP in that amount of air.

What this means is that inside a freezer, if everything is cold (below freezing or close to...) there is almost NO water dissolved into the air. Extremely small amount. so little in fact that you could not see visible condensation on ANYTHING you put in it.

"But then why is there frost build up on my 8 month old Frozen pizza"

Thats caused by warm moist things (or air) being added to the freezer, which puts moisture into the air of the freezer which then looks for something cold to freeze to, and look a cold pizza right there to freeze onto... Voila.

------

So in conclusion if you do as I instructed in my first post, and don't have anything else in the freezer, you have Nothing to worry about, no condensation will occur on any part of your computer.

AND even if you do want to keep other stuff in your freezer (while its turned off) you CAN safely do so as long as you have the sides on your computer... Since the fans inside your computer are OFF when your computer is OFF, no circulation takes place which doesn't let any airborn moisture from getting inside your computer, which of course means it can't condense on your components.

Sublimation and recrystallization occurs continuously in an undisturbed freezer - albeit at a very slow rate. This is one of the causes of (progressive) freezer burn.

Anything inside of a freezer, which is allowed to fall to the ambient temp will have some amount of frost form on it.

the air inside of a freezer does not have zero humidity.

something tells me niether of use will convince the other...:cheers:

Anything inside of a freezer, which is allowed to fall to the ambient temp will have some amount of frost form on it.
    Correct, but you've got 2 things working for you Here...

*As long as you don't leave your computer in a freezer Unused for Months on end, (use it at least once every few days), there will not be enough time for a detremental amount of frost to build up. (the TINY TINY amount will evaporate off even after a few minutes of use.)

*If you have your case sides on when you shut it off, no circulation will take place allowing any airborn humidity to get inside your computer, much less form frost on your components.

the air inside of a freezer does not have zero humidity
    I did not say that. What I said was, at low temperatures, 100% humidity can be achieved with a TINY TINY amount of water. 100% humidity is a state in which the air is holding the absolute MOST moisture it can possibly hold without forming rain, fog, or snow. Of course this means, that the transfer of frost into airborn gas, and then the forming of frost elsewhere in an equally cold evironment (sublimation, disublimation), is VERY slow, and thus as long as you don't leave the computer OFF in a freezer for weeks at a time, you will not have a problem.

----------

Neoz, and Puff Alot... Putting your radiator in a freezer would cause MONSTER problems. Fist of all you would need to add antifreeze... (duh) hehe

Second of all, the tubes, sinks, and everything that touches the cold antifreeze, would become cold, (just like a can of pop) and start condensing water, which would then drip onto your components.

BUT if you wanted to put your radiator into a -not very cold- refrigerator, that WOULD be ok, as long as you monitored the sinks so that they didn't start condesing water... there is a fine line here, depending on room temp, and humidity, and temp of the water, it will require a constant tweak job, or at least a watchful eye.

well like i said before this little frezzer has been running for months with the same empty box sitting in it just as long and theres not a shread of frost any were

and the computer will be left on all the time

24/7

so after listening to everyone so far im sure that after sealing everything in sillicone

I would place it in the frezzer running and warm? with out the sides on?

after it ran for a while i would put the sides on ??

and leave it

when i was ready to turn it off for good unpluge the computer take it out open it up and let it set for a day

sound correct?

and does anyone know were i can buy temp sencors?????
    New Computer

Athlon xp 1700+
    Asus A7A266
    256 DDR
    ATI ravion VE 32mb DDR
    LG 8x4x32x

E-machines T2200+
    2200+ athlone
    512DDR
    100gig HDD
    built in vid card
    built in sound card
    10/100 networkcard
    56k modem
    6x usb
    3x 1394ports
    16Xdvd
    40x cdrw
    19" moniters
    windows home

connected with

model # BEFSR41

OK, well if you are never going to turn it off, then you really have not much to worry about...

Turn it off, disconnect the cables, set it in the freezer, set up your cables how you want, and try not to have them exiting the freezer in such a way that would prop the freezer lid open AT ALL... Turn your computer on, open the CD-ROM drives, and let it sit...

DO NOT open the freezer lid if you don't have to. ESPECIALLY if you don't have Air conditioning on a humid day in the summer.

AND IF you ever go to take your computer OUT of the freezer you will have to LET IT SIT for a while, I would say 8 hours at least without turning it on.

AND you don't need ANY Silicone !!! Where do you think you would put it and what purpose do you think it would serve????

well in the thred that i read here cant find it title thats a overkill

he used a none conductent silicone and sealed aroung the cpu case on the M/B why couldent i do that to the who inside of the computer? to prevent any moisture to build up on expoised componets and i would do every thing i would not have to worry about the heat building up in the componets cuz it will be in the freezer

ive see hot glue on M/B before and does not damange

not to sure about the conductivity of it though

and silicone peels off easy

was thinking of this to make sure i dont damage my system

while over clocking it

by the way does anything about overclocking the dual athlon mp ??

thats what my next system is going to be i think throw a dual 1.8 in a frezzer and over clock the **** out of it

what do you think?
    New Computer

Athlon xp 1700+
    Asus A7A266
    256 DDR
    ATI ravion VE 32mb DDR
    LG 8x4x32x

E-machines T2200+
    2200+ athlone
    512DDR
    100gig HDD
    built in vid card
    built in sound card
    10/100 networkcard
    56k modem
    6x usb
    3x 1394ports
    16Xdvd
    40x cdrw
    19" moniters
    windows home

connected with

model # BEFSR41

i'll let you all know how it went after ive done it maby not on my best first but on some thing crappy just to make sure
    lol
    New Computer

Athlon xp 1700+
    Asus A7A266
    256 DDR
    ATI ravion VE 32mb DDR
    LG 8x4x32x

E-machines T2200+
    2200+ athlone
    512DDR
    100gig HDD
    built in vid card
    built in sound card
    10/100 networkcard
    56k modem
    6x usb
    3x 1394ports
    16Xdvd
    40x cdrw
    19" moniters
    windows home

connected with

model # BEFSR41

I would be interested to see how it goes... 486 anyone? ;)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Heres another idea I had that will keep your freezer from wearing itself out.

Get some 2 liter bottles or milk jugs, and fill them with Water and freeze them before you put your computer in the freezer. Here's why...

See a freezer turns itself on when the temperature reaches a certain 'high' temperature. Then it cools the contents down and turns itself off at a certain 'low' temperature. Turning itself on and off is the most detremental thing a freezer, refrigerator, or air conditioner does.

And if all you have in your freezer is your computer, air and the inside walls of the freezer, there is almost NO 'thermal mass' Which means that the contents don't take hardly any time to cool down, and then almost no time to warm back up. This will cause your freezer to kick on and off constantly, and it will wear itself out FAST. (One month at the absolute longest)

WATER has extremely high thermal mass, and so when you have a whole bunch of it frozen within your freezer, it will ease the load on the freezer by allowing the cooling cycles to last alot longer.

The freezer will be removing the same amount of heat of course, but like I said, it is a hell of alot easier on the freezer to cycle on 3 times an hour and run for 10 min, than having to cycle on 15 times, at 3 minutes per cycle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information