Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: freezing computer

I don't understand why you would seal the MB in *anything*. Wouldn't that just insulate the component?

And, as far as condensation and computer being off and such, so what if it does develop condensation? The amounts will be trivial and, nearly non-existant if the computer remains on most of the time.

What's the concern? Puddling? If you're worried about puddling, just mount the MB at an angle in the freezer. Any sweat that does form during off periods will be vaporized moments after restarting the computer as long as we're not talking about months and months of downtime.

And, even if it does hasten the deteriation of computer parts, what's the big deal? These things are obsolete the instant you buy them, anyway. No matter what speed machine you get today, the only reason you didn't get a faster one is because you couldn't justify the expense of the next faster one. Otherwise, we'd all have cyro-cased supercomputers.

That said, there's a fairly good chance that you'll be upgrading the majority of the hardware within the next 24 months, even if just to keep up with the jones'.

However, how are you going to keep the freezer sealed? I expect that you're about to have to drill the freezer and run the required cables through those holes. In order to seal them, you may end up making your monitor, mouse, and keyboard permanant fixtures into your new computer case.

So, my risk assessment so far is:
    Condensation won't cause puddles if the MB is mounted in such a way that any water always has a way to roll off the edge.
    Condensation won't happen that much anyway, in a closed freezer.
    Even if it does, so what?
    Be happy with your monitor, keyboard, and mouse before permanently affixing them to the freezer.

Jeff...

well i hae defetly desided to do it in about 6 months im going to buy new everything goig to spend aout 3500 not including moniter im hoping that amd will break the 2.0gig mark on the mp series and the over clock the dual athlons at the same time im going to buy a cam. so i show the over clock speeds.

and yes the computer would stay on 24-7-365
    <font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >
    New Computer

Athlon xp 1700+
    Asus A7A266
    256 DDR
    ATI ravion VE 32mb DDR
    philips psc602 sound card
    Maxtor 7200 rpm 40 gig HD
    LG 8x4x32x
    Windows XP pro 2600 build

2 new computers exactly the same

E-machines T2200+
    2200+ athlone
    512DDR
    100gig HDD
    built in vid card
    built in sound card
    10/100 networkcard
    56k modem
    6x usb
    3x 1394ports
    16Xdvd
    40x cdrw
    19" moniters
    windows home

connected with

linksys etherFast cable / dsl roughter
    model # BEFSR41

printer/fax/copier connected to computer #1

Default Re: freezing computer

Hey... guys if you dont want humidity which causes condensation, just put a humidity absorbing product in it such as damprid.

There is a case that is like an AC; Sytrin nextherm. It uses TEC to send cold air into the case interior. Is that cold enough?
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Look at the post dates you guys! Not including the last two posts this thread died in March of 2002!
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

oh, I was wondering why I never saw this thread before.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information