Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot power supply

Ok I have a really chilled system, Which stays below room temp most the time but recentley my power supply has been getting real hot above 50degrees which is inturn making the whole system hot and riseing the temp of my cpu. This has only started happening since i put a 9500pro in my PC so does this mean my power supply is struggling with powering the PC and will it result in my power supply burning out. And is there any way of cooling the power supply. Im pretty sure its a 350watt power supply.
    AMD XP 1600 1.44Ghz
    256MB DDR
    40GB MATROX HDD
    Radeon 9500 Pro 128mb (Connect3D)
    SB AUDIGY 5.1
    WIN98 SE
    DIRECTX 9
    NEW DRIVERS ALLROUND

There is a good chance that you are overloading it, but you wouldnt really be able to determine this unless you calculated the total amount of power all the parts in your pc use

Although a quick solution would be to replace the PSU fan you already have in place with a better fan, but be warned, this will void any sort of warranty that may be in place for your psu

Also be very careful, most of the insides of that PSU is live at 240V (or whatever volatge your country supplies through GPO's) so have it fully unplugged from the powerpoint when you are tinkering with it, or optionally leave the GPO turned off but the PSU power cable still plugged in so current is still earthed out of the PSU to the GPO
    'Life is what you make of it'

For system specs goto my webpage, and have a lookie under the 'pc specs' area

Yes R9500P's do put a strain on PSU's (requirin' a higher sustained load) and if ya live in the northern hemishere (to bad ya didn't add a location or room temp) then summer is well on the way which also adds to the problem. The R9500P is a heat generator to start with plus it uses much more power than older generation cards (that's why the power connector on it) which will act twofold on ya system and then throw in warmer seasonal air temps will likely make ya sit up and notice of what's happenin'.

Now other than I wouldn't use less than a 400w PSU (430-480w more likely) for that setup it would've been good if ya included a link or pic of ya case.

Yes...smmer is already upon us. Im on the hot end of the house, and with the a/c set on 70F/21C, my room is still 85F/27C My temps are up so much already, case is now 30C becasue of it and cpu temps is back in the 40C's . And yes, do at least get a 400Watt Power supply, and dont get the generic crap

amd_man2003 I've got the oppoosite situation here...I've managed to keep my comp in the coldest room in the house :D

It can get down to 13 C (17 atm) in here and stay at an even 21 C in the rest of the house; if asus probe is to be believed, my cpu hasn't risen above 36 C in over a week (but it's also telling me that my case temp is 11 C...a few degrees cooler than my room temp :confused: )

I've got to get me some real thermal probes...
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    amd_man2003 I've got the oppoosite situation here...I've managed to keep my comp in the coldest room in the house :D

It can get down to 13 C (17 atm) in here and stay at an even 21 C in the rest of the house; if asus probe is to be believed, my cpu hasn't risen above 36 C in over a week (but it's also telling me that my case temp is 11 C...a few degrees cooler than my room temp :confused: )

I've got to get me some real thermal probes...
    Icant move mine, i wanna keep it in my bedroom, and well, no one else can stand to sleep with it on.:laugh: Damn, guess its time for me to get a watercooling setup

I guess I forgot to mention that I sleep in that room too...I've gotten so used to the noise my comp makes that I have a hard time going to sleep with it off...just too quiet :laugh:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I get worried when I wake up and this place don't hum (room temp 18C/system 19C/CPU 32C V7+ medium (35C low) /XP2600+ @ 2.26GHz & under full load) and 17 PC's does that to a place(it actually wakes me up when I don't hear that hum).

Mine aint no hum, its a violent roar of wind that can be heard throughout the house. I sleep with it in y room ,and i cannot sleep without it on. If it goes off, i can tell, I sleep lightly. :laugh:

I live in the UK down south but our summers are getting hotter and hotter, But I have looked into buying a new power supply and have found one on e-bay for 30 550watt 2 fan which will add some noise but will keep my system alot cooler as I have a Air con set up for my pc and already have CPU fan GPU fan plus the power supply fan so in all with the new 550watt unit 4 fans plus Air con. On average my room temp is about 20-25C and my system before this heat problem from the power supply had a good temp of about 25-35C when being used for gaming and about 20-25C when idle. Much cheaper then a water cooling setup leaving me some spare change to by the odd game and update bits n bobs when I want.

Thanks for the feedback, and remember a cool system is a happy system.
    AMD XP 1600 1.44Ghz
    256MB DDR
    40GB MATROX HDD
    Radeon 9500 Pro 128mb (Connect3D)
    SB AUDIGY 5.1
    WIN98 SE
    DIRECTX 9
    NEW DRIVERS ALLROUND

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information